The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2014, 09:25:12 AM
Disraeli was a Jew?!?

Disraeli was an Anglican.  :P

So no, not a Jew.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 09:56:12 AM

So no, not a Jew.

Stopping being a Jew seems more complicated than simply changing your religion for some reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Mother was a Jew, so a Jew.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2014, 09:57:25 AM
Mother was a Jew, so a Jew.

He converted to another religion, so not a Jew.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

A Converted jew is a denial jew.

Do I stop being a French-Canadian if I move to somewhere else?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2014, 09:57:02 AM

So no, not a Jew.

Stopping being a Jew seems more complicated than simply changing your religion for some reason.

Not really. The rules of the tribe are that if you convert to another religion, you are no longer a Jew. Except for some oddball Orthodox, that is, who hiold that once a Jew always a Jew.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2014, 09:57:02 AM

So no, not a Jew.

Plastic surgery for small flaps of skin?    :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 14, 2014, 10:09:26 AM
A Converted jew is a denial jew.

Do I stop being a French-Canadian if I move to somewhere else?

Religious (or tribal) membership is different from an ancestry. There is no question that Disraeli was of Jewish ancestry.

You can't (say) be both a Catholic and a Sunni Muslim at the same time.

Judaism is best thought of like a tribe, or a social club. You can get automatic "membership" by being born to a member (most Jews say, if your mother is a member). Otherwise, you can get to be a member if the others already in the club accept you (i.e., by "conversion"). However, the club has certain rules, and if you violate them in certain ways you are out. One of the rules is that you can only belong to one such club - so no being a Jew and a Catholic or Anglican at the same time (again, except for the Orthodox). You can be an atheist all you like, Jews don't care much whether you believe in God or not, but you can't *formally join another faith*.

Now, needless to say the Nazis ad other Jew-haters cared not a straw for such distinctions, which is why they happily murdered people who had converted - and why Israel's "law of return" uses ancestry as a criterion.

lustindarkness

I need a new battery for my watch, have been wearing my digital running watch.

Haircuts? barber shops? salons? Pfff, I shave my head every few days/week.

The jew talk gets boring.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

I was just reading an article about signs you are from California. I saw this one and though, it is pretty spot on. In fact, I'm cringing now about shorthanding it.

Quote1. You've never called it "Cali."

The only people who call it "Cali" aren't from California. It's not that anyone has to tell you not to say it, people just don't. I think it's a respect thing. It feels almost like calling your mother by her first name. I'm cringing just thinking about it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

You guys call your mother "Mrs. Poster"?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

I don't call my mother.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 14, 2014, 10:20:47 AM
I need a new battery for my watch, have been wearing my digital running watch.

Haircuts? barber shops? salons? Pfff, I shave my head every few days/week.

The jew talk gets boring.

If you are bored with haircuts and Jews, you are bored of life.  :P

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom