Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2014, 03:44:02 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2014, 02:00:39 PM
Don't you play poker regularly?  :hmm:
I do play poker regularly, but not in the movies.  In real life picking up involuntary tells on someone you don't know is fool's errand.  The same involuntary tell can mean one thing for one person, completely the opposite thing for the second person, and mean nothing at all for the third person.  You need to establish a baseline before you can really make judgments that work better than flipping a coin.

When your eye bleeds, does it mean you're bluffing?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Really Cal, liking the Patriots :bleeding:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on March 25, 2014, 04:02:13 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2014, 02:00:39 PM
Don't you play poker regularly?  :hmm:
I do play poker regularly, but not in the movies.  In real life picking up involuntary tells on someone you don't know is fool's errand.  The same involuntary tell can mean one thing for one person, completely the opposite thing for the second person, and mean nothing at all for the third person.  You need to establish a baseline before you can really make judgments that work better than flipping a coin.

When your eye bleeds, does it mean you're bluffing?

I just know this. If you notice sexual arousal when your opponent looks at his hand, run away. Whether or not he has a good hand, you are playing with a really sick pervert.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Sounds like you're calling Guller an uggo.  :hmm:

Err, no I guess you're calling Ide one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Hey, I can't help it.  I've got nice hands.  And we've got history.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Yeah.  I probably look like I'm lying sometimes when I'm telling the truth but just uncomfortable with the question.  I didn't take the quiz but would be surprised if I got half of them right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2014, 04:48:19 PM
I just know this. If you notice sexual arousal when your opponent looks at his hand, run away. Whether or not he has a good hand, you are playing with a really sick pervert.
:huh: This is not what you should do at all.  If you can notice sexual arousal in your opponent, then it probably means that he's doing quite badly that night and not playing his A game.

Eddie Teach

Maybe he's aroused by thinking about how much of your money he's won.

garbon

Or he just finds you hot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Don't listen to Garbon or you'll lose the rest of your money too.  :P

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2014, 05:00:38 PM

Yeah.  I probably look like I'm lying sometimes when I'm telling the truth but just uncomfortable with the question.  I didn't take the quiz but would be surprised if I got half of them right.
Another problem with that quiz is that it's basically psychology students lying or not lying based on what they're asked to do.  Whether they tell the truth or not, they know that they're putting on a performance, and there are no stakes involved in pulling off a successful lie.  In poker, tells are generally reliable only in important pots, because that's when you get an adrenaline rush that makes it very hard for you to act normal.