News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Took one of my cats to my girlfriend's office today for veterinary work.  She's an asst. of some kind whose labor is laughably obviously being stolen by guild-based rentiers who make eight times what she does for scarcely more difficult work; she still votes GOP.

One of the latches on the cage it turns out was broken.  Juliet (the cat) escaped twice, the final time in the parking lot.  Had to chase her around cars and finally got her by crawling under some guy's truck.  Bought a new carrier, adding $35 to whatever it costs to "diagnose" her problem.  I already know what her problem is, I just need a vet to write a script for the special food.  In the old days, I'd have just purchased it from a supplier, but apparently there was some kind of epidemic of medical cat food abuse, and the law now requires a doctor's prescription.  (Or, vets are using their function as gatekeepers to get a cut of what should be a simple transaction between me and a faceless corporation.  YOU DECIDE.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2014, 11:53:57 AM
Just noticed this obituary:
QuoteHugh Lunghi - obituary
Hugh Lunghi, was a wartime interpreter for Churchill who saw Stalin up close and was the first into Hitler's bunker

Hugh Lunghi at home in 2005 Photo: REX FEATURES

Hugh Lunghi, who has died aged 93, was one of the last surviving participants of the "Big Three" meetings at Tehran, Yalta and Potsdam, interpreting for Churchill and other British officials in talks with Josef Stalin; he was also thought to have been the first British soldier to have entered Hitler's bunker in Berlin.

Hugh Lunghi, born August 3 1920, died March 14 2014

Thanks for that.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 22, 2014, 03:26:03 PM
In the old days, I'd have just purchased it from a supplier, but apparently there was some kind of epidemic of medical cat food abuse, and the law now requires a doctor's prescription.  (Or, vets are using their function as gatekeepers to get a cut of what should be a simple transaction between me and a faceless corporation.  YOU DECIDE.)

It's to prevent idiot owners from unnecessarily killing their cats with the wrong food when there's a clinically identified health issue that needs the cat's diet to be strictly regulated, such as UTI, inflammatory bowel disease, or Type 2 diabetes (get familiar with that term, Ide).

Ideologue

It'd been previously diagnosed (bladder stones, which any "idiot owner" could diagnose from the chronic hematuria, but which X-rays are required to determine if surgery is necessary).  It shouldn't require another vet visit, just a re-up.  The special food primarily makes her drink more water, which is not terribly likely to cause her great injury.

Anyway, they said they think it was a UTI.  If true, that's great, but I remain dubious.

Why?  Because Juliet pissed herself in her new $35 (canvas) carrier, because she's fucking terrified, and they weren't able to get a urine sample.  I'm unsure why they didn't use a needle or take X-rays.  I also wonder how much "clean up" fees were, given that this whole ordeal could've been avoided, and Julie didn't need to be traumatized by any of this.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Took one of my cats to my girlfriend's office today for veterinary work.  She's an asst. of some kind whose labor is laughably obviously being stolen by guild-based rentiers who make eight times what she does for scarcely more difficult work; she still votes GOP.
Do you actually know what a vet does? In high school after two weeks I was qualified to do what a vet tech does (Except for drawing blood, which I did a few times under supervision, but felt weird about doing since I was still in high school). That's not to say a good vet tech isn't something that's good to have, but comparing it to a vet is, well, much like your movie reviews :D

Hope you cat feels better :console:

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2014, 10:15:16 PM
I've only just found out that Roy Jenkins was unseated as an MP by George Galloway.

Christ :bleeding: :weep:
Famous as the day that people in Britain gave up hope.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2014, 05:28:41 PM
In the old days, I'd have just purchased it from a supplier, but apparently there was some kind of epidemic of medical cat food abuse, and the law now requires a doctor's prescription.  (Or, vets are using their function as gatekeepers to get a cut of what should be a simple transaction between me and a faceless corporation.  YOU DECIDE.)

It's to prevent idiot owners from unnecessarily killing their cats with the wrong food when there's a clinically identified health issue that needs the cat's diet to be strictly regulated, such as UTI, inflammatory bowel disease, or Type 2 diabetes (get familiar with that term, Ide).

I buy the catfood that the vet tells me to buy (which he sells out of his office).  I guess I'm doing okay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Sheilbh, I rarely have anything to say to them, but I really appreciate the various obituaries you out. Good stuff :cheers:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2014, 08:16:42 PM
Sheilbh, I rarely have anything to say to them, but I really appreciate the various obituaries you out. Good stuff :cheers:
Glad you enjoy them :)

I love the obituary pages. I think there's a real art form to them.

This, in Private Eye, is perfect:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on March 22, 2014, 05:43:23 PM
Do you actually know what a vet does? In high school after two weeks I was qualified to do what a vet tech does (Except for drawing blood, which I did a few times under supervision, but felt weird about doing since I was still in high school). That's not to say a good vet tech isn't something that's good to have, but comparing it to a vet is, well, much like your movie reviews :D

Hope you cat feels better :console:

OK turns out I was wrong.  HOPE EVERYONE IS HAPPY.
Kinemalogue

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Whilst I was out this, apparently somebody from the museum turned up on my doorstep; on a sunday afternoon. :huh:

Maybe they're going to offer me a job I can't refuse?  :hmm:

Perhaps it's someone with a scheme to rob the place?  :(  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Robbing a museum sounds incredibly dull.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?