News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Malaysia Airlines have lost contact with a plane flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/08/malaysian-airlines-plane-live
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

MadImmortalMan

Vietnamese Navy says they found it in the ocean...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2014, 12:04:08 AM
Vietnamese Navy says they found it in the ocean...
I don't see that on the Google News feed about this. :hmm:  Last I saw the plane seemed to have disappeared over Vietnamese airspace but it was unclear if it was over land or sea at the time...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Anyway, the thought crossed my mind that a jet (possibly) disappearing over the South China Sea might have accidentally gotten caught up in a military exercise given the location. :ph34r: :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Me in the morning after a night of Neurontin dream weirdness:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

They closed off all westbound traffic in front of my house this morning for some kind of bullshit run.  I had to drive four miles out of my way so I could be facing the right direction to get home. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on March 08, 2014, 09:08:36 AM
They closed off all westbound traffic in front of my house this morning for some kind of bullshit run.  I had to drive four miles out of my way so I could be facing the right direction to get home. <_<

The Columbia marathon was today. If that was the race, how horrible for you that you had to drive 4 miles out of your way so people who have been training for the race all winter could run 26.  :console:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

I had a lot of fun when there was a bike tour here which meant many of the main highways/bridges were closed to car traffic. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2014, 01:48:25 PM

The Columbia marathon was today. If that was the race, how horrible for you that you had to drive 4 miles out of your way so people who have been training for the race all winter could run 26.  :console:

They forced me to increase my carbon footprint.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

I've a lot of admiration for a country far away enough and mad enough to just not care about North Korea :lol:
QuoteLibya threatens to bomb North Korean oil tanker
Last updated Sun 9 Mar 2014

Libya will bomb a North Korea-flagged oil tanker trying to load crude at an eastern port controlled by armed protesters if the vessel fails to follow orders from the navy, according to Reuters.

"The tanker will be bombed if it doesn't follow orders when leaving (the port). This will be an environmental disaster," Prime Minister Ali Zeidan told reporters, calling the docking of the tanker a criminal act violating Libya's sovereignty.

Authorities had ordered the arrest of the tanker's crew, he said. His comments were the first government reaction since the tanker reached Es Sider port, where protesters earlier said they had started exporting oil, bypassing Tripoli.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I broke out my Challenger out of the garage today. :w00t:

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 08, 2014, 08:34:08 PM
Whatever you do, don't go throttle up.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2014, 08:51:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 08, 2014, 08:34:08 PM
Whatever you do, don't go throttle up.

Too soon. :mad:

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe U.S. economy added 175,000 new jobs in February, beating expectations that bad winter weather would significantly depress job growth. But the ranks of the long-term unemployed also grew last month, helping to nudge the unemployment up from 6.6% to 6.7%.

After many months of gradual decline, the number of long-term unemployed swelled by 203,000 in February, totaling 3.8 million. The change has come as Congress has let federal unemployment benefits expire, cutting off more than 1.7 million Americans who have been looking for work for more than 26 weeks.

The silver lining is that those the government counts as being unemployed are actively seeking work. That's why economists may actually be heartened that the unemployment rate increased slightly in February.

The bigger concern is that the long-term unemployed will be so discouraged that they'll stop looking for work entirely, dropping out of the labor forceā€”a concern that Democrats have voiced in their push to revive unemployment benefits. The labor force participation rate was unchanged in February, at 63%, but it remains at a historic low.

The unemployment insurance debate has returned to the Senate yet again this week, but the primary obstacle remains unchanged. Republicans don't want to extend aid without paying for it, and they've rejected the Democrats' payfors out of hand, including Sen. Jack Reed's latest offer for a six-month extension offset by savings from the recently passed farm bill. But February's concerning numbers about the long-term unemployed could add new urgency to the debate.