News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

"Who was the scummy Frenchman who worked for the Nazis and deported Jews to death camps?" :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 05, 2014, 09:19:45 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2014, 09:15:40 AM
What was the question?

Palyndrome category.

"City next to Montreal, French Traitor Pierre"

Laval?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2014, 09:28:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 05, 2014, 09:21:51 AM
Yes.

Wohoo! I win!

What's the prize?

Only the overall winner gets to keep the cash. Answering one question correctly means you probably leave with a gift basket and a t-shirt.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

RSO records didn't need U2, after almost forty years as a top record label they are still going strong.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 05, 2014, 09:31:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2014, 09:28:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 05, 2014, 09:21:51 AM
Yes.

Wohoo! I win!

What's the prize?

Only the overall winner gets to keep the cash. Answering one question correctly means you probably leave with a gift basket and a t-shirt.

I want my t-shirt and gift basket!  :mad:

Sheilbh

Tis the season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcWo1hKHu40
:wub:

Edit: Incidentally I think that's an amazing version of the song. From a BBC4 documentary on sacred music.

Interesting detail is the famous top C isn't in the original manuscript. It was almost only performed by the Sistine Chapel choir until Mozart - as a child - heard the piece and transcribed it. But even then, no top C. It isn't written down until the Mendelssohn version. But each are slightly different.

Apparently the theory is that things like the top C would be a sort of show boating, improv by the castrati not strictly within the score but to embellish it. Luckily Mendelssohn heard a very good castrato.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2014, 06:59:17 PM
https://vine.co/v/hYjb3maMInU
:lol:

It played without sound at first and it just looked a bit bizarre. But when I located that unmute button: ARRGHHH! :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2014, 11:34:31 AM
Did anyone need U2? :(

Hey, sometimes you can't make it on your own.  Hell, I still haven't found what I'm looking for, with or without you

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2014, 08:59:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2014, 06:53:35 PM
QuoteThe study involved 2,392 men and women, all of whom were 18 years of age or older.

This actually might explain a bit, people in their 20s may not know some of the older terms as they have become irrelevant.  Who cares what a motherboard is these days - heck who cares about computers anymore?

But not knowing what software is?  That seems very odd.

HTML is a language, not software.

If you check the link one of questions was about software and a surprising number thought it had to do with clothing.

But thanks for assuming I am an idiot  :)