News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

That's because tights have replaced stockings on the fashion scene. They'll come back.

Also, you probably think some stockings are tights.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

No. 2 on the Danish iTunes single chart is some random techno crap song called John Hitler. It's drum, an autotuned woman shouting John Hitler repeatedly and all intermixed with a marching tune.

Denmark, please. :bleeding:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2014, 05:17:48 AM
Weird question...but do women ever actually wear stockings?
Listening to a woman at work today talk about what was acceptable clothing she mentioned stockings for women, which made me snigger as in my mind they are purely a sex item.
Its not something I've ever really looked into or had the opportunity to notice but most girls I know of always wear tights.

How old are those girls?

Stockings are pretty common for a woman to wear if she is dressing above the level of casual.  In the context of a professional suit, unless a woman is wearing pants she is probably wearing stockings.

Syt

http://www.retronaut.com/2012/08/women-are-teachable-c-1940s/?utm_content=bufferead29&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"Call on a trained woman counselor in your personnel department to interpret women's attitudes and actions."

Yeah, good luck with that. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I am disturbed by the notion that horseplay in the workplace was commonplace before women started showing up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I wonder if 'horseplay' meant 'grabbing asses'. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 01:42:06 PM
I am disturbed by the notion that horseplay in the workplace was commonplace before women started showing up.

They have to ruin everything.   <_<
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 01:44:45 PM
I wonder if 'horseplay' meant 'grabbing asses'. :hmm:

My grandfather worked for Ford during the Second World War as a skilled tradesman.  He said that some of the other men would send women off for "Left handed monkey wrenches," and other such snipe hunts.  I think that's what they mean.

Also he told us that the proper name for the coarsest grade of file is a "Bastard file."  Several women would complain to their supervisors about the coarse language when they first heard that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2014, 05:17:48 AM
Weird question...but do women ever actually wear stockings?
Listening to a woman at work today talk about what was acceptable clothing she mentioned stockings for women, which made me snigger as in my mind they are purely a sex item.
Its not something I've ever really looked into or had the opportunity to notice but most girls I know of always wear tights.

No, it's the rest of the world that is insane.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on February 28, 2014, 01:53:15 PM
My grandfather worked for Ford during the Second World War as a skilled tradesman.  He said that some of the other men would send women off for "Left handed monkey wrenches," and other such snipe hunts.  I think that's what they mean.
:lol: Your cowardly grandfather sounds like a hoot.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:17:50 PM:lol: Your cowardly grandfather sounds like a hoot.

There is nothing cowardly about doing work essential to the war effort stateside :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 28, 2014, 01:53:15 PM
:lol: Your cowardly grandfather sounds like a hoot.

One of my granfather's stories from his days in the WWII navy were that he once stopped up one end of the shit trough that people crapped into. The result was that the shit water backed up and hit the asses of the men using it. 40 years later, he was still laughing about that.

I'm guessing the Navy has changed a bit since then.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

You may be thankful that forty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great World War II, you WON'T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, "Well, your Granddaddy clogged up the shit trough in the navy."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 03:29:33 PM
You may be thankful that forty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great World War II, you WON'T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, "Well, your Granddaddy clogged up the shit trough in the navy."

He was on a destroyer. I think he actually did have some cool stories to tell, but his favorite stories were things like were stopping up the shit trough.

Patton never accounted for men like my grandfather I guess. "General Patton, it is great that I'll be able to tell stories about killing Nazis and all that, but will I still have the chance to get a few stories about shit in there too?"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 03:19:42 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2014, 03:17:50 PM:lol: Your cowardly grandfather sounds like a hoot.

There is nothing cowardly about doing work essential to the war effort stateside :angry:

He was 4F due to tuberculosis (as well as vital to wartime production.)

At one point Ford had moved his production unit from Dearborn to about 20 miles east at Willow Run.  He asked for a raise to cover the additional cost of travel.  His boss asked the big boss for him; and the entire office heard the big boss rant "Who does he think he is to ask for a raise from Ford Motor Company?"  So my grandfather quit and took a job with a supplier doing largely the same work.  When the draft board got wind of that they sent him down to the hospital for his army physical.  He was rejected (he knew he would since he had been rejected before.)  The guy ahead of him had only one arm.  The doctor took a look at him and said, "I've seen you before."

"Yes, they keep sending me down here," the man replied.

"Do those SOBs think you're going to grow another arm?" the doctor growled and filled out another rejection.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock