News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

The gum is sort of working so far.  I dunno if going through eight pieces since 9:30 is a big accomplishment, but at a weak 4mg apiece I feel like I'm at like half my normal nicotine intake.  Everything is hazy and it's hard to think, and my stomach is kind of bothering me. :grr:  Of course, some of these symptoms may be related to the nasty cold I've developed over the past few days, and I shouldn't even be at work at all, but the last time I went home sick, I didn't work again for three weeks.  USA!  USA!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM
The Log is too solidly entrenched in the middle class to chew or dip.

:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

It appears the forty-seven percenters are a fickle mob.

Quote52% of Young Adults Want to 'Recall' Obama

(Newser) – A new poll has some worrying news for a president long popular with young people. Some 52% of 18- to 24-year-olds would vote to recall President Obama if that were an option, Mediaite reports. Just 41% of 18- to 29-year-olds, or millennials, approve of the job he's doing in office. And while 55% of that group voted for Obama last year, just 46% would today. The Harvard poll also paints a bleak picture for supporters of ObamaCare, Fox News notes.

Just 22% of the 18-to-29 crowd intend to enroll in ObamaCare. Among uninsured millennials, just 29% plan to get signed up. That's a real problem for a program that "depends upon" healthy young people's premiums to help pay for less healthy individuals, notes a pollster. Gawker points out another big issue raised by the poll: Millennials are extremely concerned with college debt: Some 58% have it, and 57% consider it a "major problem." For 70%, finances were an "important" factor in whether to go to college.

http://www.newser.com/story/178654/52-of-young-adults-want-to-recall-obama.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 04, 2013, 02:44:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2013, 09:38:04 AM
Yup. That's how I quit. Right after a Languish meet many years ago, as it happens. I think it was 9 years ago now.

Edit: assuming you can do it of course. Different people have different chemistry.

I quit like that for a good while (I guess nearly a year? somewhere between 6mos and a year), then started this new job and the smokes almost instantly started looking soooooooooooooo good.  Held out for a little bit, then I bummed "just one" then it was all over.  I'm only smoking at home after work at least though.  Gets me out on the back porch more often, I suppose.

I can never have one again. That's just how it is.

Yeah, part of my mind still misses it. Particularly picturing myself having a smoke while sitting on the dock watching the sun set on a perfect summer day.

I get over that by picturing just how nasty lingering bronchitis was. Or better, having a smoke while ankle-deep in the crappy slush outside the building in which I work in minus 20 degree weather in January, while office drones look at me like a leper as they shuffle by ... while still hacking from lingering bronchitis. And honestly, I must say scenario (b) happened a lot more frequently than scenario (a).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2013, 03:23:31 PM
Of course, some of these symptoms may be related to the nasty cold I've developed over the past few days

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with your pending bout of insulin shock.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2013, 03:21:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2013, 10:29:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2013, 10:27:10 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2013, 10:25:31 AM
Is snuff commonplace over there?
I've never seen it anywhere other than Sweden.

It is often associated with a certain type of people.

I associate it with Ide. Does that count?  ;)

I'm really getting a bigoty vibe here.  On Languish, of all places.

Only a little? Clearly, we haven't been up to snuff ... so to speak.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2013, 04:55:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2013, 03:21:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2013, 10:29:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2013, 10:27:10 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2013, 10:25:31 AM
Is snuff commonplace over there?
I've never seen it anywhere other than Sweden.

It is often associated with a certain type of people.

I associate it with Ide. Does that count?  ;)

I'm really getting a bigoty vibe here.  On Languish, of all places.

Only a little? Clearly, we haven't been up to snuff ... so to speak.  ;)

I can see Shelf affecting a for a while a habit of taking snuff, but Ide ? :unsure:

Is he talking about that weird/nasty thing of putting tobacco between the gums and jowls ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on December 04, 2013, 04:49:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2013, 03:23:31 PM
Of course, some of these symptoms may be related to the nasty cold I've developed over the past few days

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with your pending bout of insulin shock.

I think the amount of sugar I intake has been greatly exaggerated.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on December 04, 2013, 04:33:30 PM
It appears the forty-seven percenters are a fickle mob.

Quote52% of Young Adults Want to 'Recall' Obama

(Newser) – A new poll has some worrying news for a president long popular with young people. Some 52% of 18- to 24-year-olds would vote to recall President Obama if that were an option, Mediaite reports. Just 41% of 18- to 29-year-olds, or millennials, approve of the job he's doing in office. And while 55% of that group voted for Obama last year, just 46% would today. The Harvard poll also paints a bleak picture for supporters of ObamaCare, Fox News notes.

Just 22% of the 18-to-29 crowd intend to enroll in ObamaCare. Among uninsured millennials, just 29% plan to get signed up. That's a real problem for a program that "depends upon" healthy young people's premiums to help pay for less healthy individuals, notes a pollster. Gawker points out another big issue raised by the poll: Millennials are extremely concerned with college debt: Some 58% have it, and 57% consider it a "major problem." For 70%, finances were an "important" factor in whether to go to college.

http://www.newser.com/story/178654/52-of-young-adults-want-to-recall-obama.html

I dunno about recalling Obama, but as I've said before, I don't see how I'm even supposed to enroll in Obamacare.  How about an Obamajob?  Then maybe I'd be more sanguine about the prospect of subsidizing the failing organs of Boomers.

And student debt is a waaayyy bigger problem than Olds dying.  Olds have been dying since they were Young.  It is an inherent feature of any economy.  But $100k debt burdens on fresh grads is pretty new and is not sustainable.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on December 04, 2013, 05:41:02 PM

I can see Shelf affecting a for a while a habit of taking snuff, but Ide ? :unsure:

Is he talking about that weird/nasty thing of putting tobacco between the gums and jowls ?

Yes ... my comments were jokes, not serious.  ;)

What Ide does is way more revolting than snuff.  :D

Ideologue

Snuff's in the product name.  I don't think it's actual snuff; my grandmother did that, and it was really powdery, like talc.

Anyway, I blame Denmark, and, hence, Jacob.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Why does Liep get a pass?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2013, 06:38:00 PM
Snuff's in the product name.  I don't think it's actual snuff; my grandmother did that, and it was really powdery, like talc.

Anyway, I blame Denmark, and, hence, Jacob.

Correct