News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Speaking of the permanently unemployed...

QuoteA senior Hezbollah commander, Hassan Laqees, was assassinated outside his home south of Beirut, where he was shot in the head and neck by unkown assailants.

Hezbollah immediately cast blame for the assassination on Israel, which promptly denied the claim. "These automatic accusations are an innate reflex with Hezbollah," Yigal Palmor, a spokesman at the Israeli foreign ministry, said. "They don't need evidence, they don't need facts. They just blame anything on Israel."

Laqees is a shadowy figure within Hezbollah, but he is believed to have served as an intermediary between the group and its patrons in Iran. With Hezbollah stepping up its activities in Syria in support of the Basha al-Assad regime, Laqees may have fallen within the crosshairs of Hezbollah's other regional rivals, most notably Saudi Arabia, which is engaged in a vicious proxy war with Iran over influence in the region. The head of Hezbollah said on Tuesday that Saudi Arabia was behind a massive blast at the Iranian embassy in Beirut last month.

"Hassan was the leading figure who received Iranian guidance, he studied in Iran the issues of microwarfare, terrorism, counter-terrorism, and he brought this knowledge with him to Hezbollah, so he was one of these channels through which the Iranians gave Hezbollah their assistance," the military writer and FP contributor Ronen Bergman told the BBC.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on December 03, 2013, 10:56:44 PM
Just put the gum away and sweat it out for a week. Best way to do it, if you have the willpower. Good luck

Yup. That's how I quit. Right after a Languish meet many years ago, as it happens. I think it was 9 years ago now.

Edit: assuming you can do it of course. Different people have different chemistry.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

My father quit by quitting one smoke monent each week.

Started with the smoke after diner.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

Quitting dip probably requires a strategy all of its own.  The amount of nicotine you ingest with chewing tobacco is much higher than even heavy cigarette smoking, AFAIK.  But the compulsive behavior aspect is probably significantly less entrenched.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josquius

Is snuff commonplace over there?
I've never seen it anywhere other than Sweden.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2013, 10:16:49 AM

The most significant part of quitting is really making the decision to quit.

Not "cut down", not "quit for a day and see how it goes", but quit. Throw out the smokes. Throw away the lighters, the ashtrays, the tin can out back you threw the butts in.

I 'quit' a few times before I really quit, but it was bullshit. In my mind, I was still a smoker.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2013, 10:25:31 AM

It is often associated with a certain type of people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2013, 10:27:10 AM

I associate it with Ide. Does that count?  ;)

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 04, 2013, 10:20:30 AM
Quitting dip probably requires a strategy all of its own.  The amount of nicotine you ingest with chewing tobacco is much higher than even heavy cigarette smoking, AFAIK.  But the compulsive behavior aspect is probably significantly less entrenched.

Dipping is one of those things I found so unpleasant I couldn't understand how one liked it enough to get hooked.  Of course it helped that the first time I tried it I was drunk and inadvertently swallowed a bit of it  :x
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Farmers and baseball players.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2013, 09:38:04 AM
Yup. That's how I quit. Right after a Languish meet many years ago, as it happens. I think it was 9 years ago now.

Edit: assuming you can do it of course. Different people have different chemistry.

I quit like that for a good while (I guess nearly a year? somewhere between 6mos and a year), then started this new job and the smokes almost instantly started looking soooooooooooooo good.  Held out for a little bit, then I bummed "just one" then it was all over.  I'm only smoking at home after work at least though.  Gets me out on the back porch more often, I suppose. 

sbr

Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2013, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2013, 10:16:49 AM

The most significant part of quitting is really making the decision to quit.

Not "cut down", not "quit for a day and see how it goes", but quit. Throw out the smokes. Throw away the lighters, the ashtrays, the tin can out back you threw the butts in.

I 'quit' a few times before I really quit, but it was bullshit. In my mind, I was still a smoker.

Yep.  Once I figured out how much I hated smoking it wasn't too hard to quit.  I still used the lozenges thought, they were perfect for me.

Savonarola

I've been working on maps in western Australia today.  To my amusement the political area is called the Shire of East Pilbara.   :bowler:

The Pilbara is one of the most inhospitable climates on earth.  The shire is 380,000 square kilometers and has a population of 6000. :outback:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2013, 10:29:01 AM

I associate it with Ide. Does that count?  ;)

I'm really getting a bigoty vibe here.  On Languish, of all places.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The Log is too solidly entrenched in the middle class to chew or dip.