And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:42:34 PM
How much over were you?

I thought it was totally cool in Canada that they have mongo signs on the highway explicitly stating that speeding fines don't start until you're 20 klicks over the posted speed limit.  I tried to keep it at 119 the whole time.

:huh:

Not doubting you, but never seen that before. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Ugh Canada speed limits are so low. Any attempt to do even 15-20km around that nearly had me run over in Quebec.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

How much over were you?

I thought it was totally cool in Canada that they have mongo signs on the highway explicitly stating that speeding fines don't start until you're 20 klicks over the posted speed limit.  I tried to keep it at 119 the whole time.

20mph over the limit-- in a construction zone.  And the only reason I was going that fast was so I wouldn't get stuck behind grandma who was doing 35.  Wife got a big laugh out of it because according to her I usually drive too slow.  I told her she'd stop laughing when she sees how much the ticket is.  She's not laughing today.

I was tempted to drive out to Terra Haute and contest it since the ticket said there was active construction (i.e., workers present) and there were not.  But that would mean driving clear through Indiana and back again. 

If I had only taken I-64 back like I did going to St. Louis, this would not have happened  :mad:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

How much over were you?

:lol:

Those signs mean that extra fines are imposed if you go 20 over.  The normal fines apply from 1-19 over.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2013, 03:45:53 PM
:huh:

Not doubting you, but never seen that before.

The signs are all over the freaking place.  I specifically remember the fine for 120-140 is 95 loons.

Speesh: no sympathy for 20 over in a construction zone.

CC: Really?  What's the base fine? :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:52:09 PM
CC: Really?  What's the base fine? :hmm:

No idea.  I havent had a speeding ticket since I was 19.

garbon

I don't know. I mean there seem to be a lot of locales/states that leave large stretches of road in more or less permanent construction zones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I only sped up to get past the old lady before it narrowed to a single lane & there was no actual construction. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2013, 03:54:21 PM
I only sped up to get past the old lady before it narrowed to a single lane & there was no actual construction.

2/10 sympathy.  Take it or leave it.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2013, 03:53:45 PM
I don't know. I mean there seem to be a lot of locales/states that leave large stretches of road in more or less permanent construction zones.

Like most of I-70 in Indiana west of Indianapolis.  I-64 was a dream by comparison.  Took about an hour less, as well.

DGuller

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.  Sometimes construction zones have such low speed limits that they get ignored outright.  I always try to be the marginally slowest driver in the construction zone, but in New Jersey that may still put you at 25 over the "posted on white" construction speed limit.

Razgovory

My new doctor has canceled an appointment again.  I've never even met the bastard, and he bailed twice on me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Back when I used to drive through the little towns across the NY/NJ border on my way to my parents' house in Warwick, there were 2 or 3 towns (Tuxedo was one of them) where the speed limit was like 25 and you damned well drove that. Probably made more than half their budget from speeding tickets.

Phillip V

We need self-driving cars so that county/municipal governments go bankrupt. :yes: