News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 02:00:10 PM
"trophy wife" generally means more than just having a pretty wife.  It seems to mean a much younger wife, and a divorced ex-wife in the background.

Thats not the trophy wife.  Thats just the second wife.  Trophy wifes are generally the first wife that has really expensive habits and doesnt contribute much to the relationship other than looking good and spending a lot of money looking good.

Guys who marry the trophy wife the second time round are just idiots.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 05:06:38 PM
"trophy wife" generally means more than just having a pretty wife.  It seems to mean a much younger wife, and a divorced ex-wife in the background.

Thats not the trophy wife.  Thats just the second wife.  Trophy wifes are generally the first wife that has really expensive habits and doesnt contribute much to the relationship other than looking good and spending a lot of money looking good.

I think you are wrong. I think trophy wives tend to be the wife you get later (she's like a bonus as you may have already had kids and don't really need her for anything other than signifying that you've "made" it).  Apparently there is a new show called Trophy Wife and it is about an ex-party girl who marries a rich older man with kids and 2 ex-wives.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 05:22:48 PM

I think you are wrong. I think trophy wives tend to be the wife you get later (she's like a bonus as you may have already had kids and don't really need her for anything other than signifying that you've "made" it).  Apparently there is a new show called Trophy Wife and it is about an ex-party girl who marries a rich older man with kids and 2 ex-wives.

Perhaps.  But I think that is the exception.  By that point most guys have realized they dont need a trophy wife.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 05:31:55 PM

Perhaps.  But I think that is the exception.  By that point most guys have realized they dont need a trophy wife.

I don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_wife
QuoteTrophy wife is an expression used to refer to a wife, usually young and attractive, who is regarded as a status symbol for the husband, who is often older and wealthy

After all, most people can't support a do-nothing spouse early on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

*enters thread...quickly leaves*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 05:44:12 PM

Most people dont marry younger wifes either.  Simply being young and attractive doesnt make a trophy wife.  If that is all there is to it then the true essence of the trophy wife is lost.

I have a number of friends who have married younger attractive women whom you would never refer to as trophies simply because they are substantial on their own merits.

merithyn

That's my understanding, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 05:57:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 05:44:12 PM

I have a number of friends who have married younger attractive women whom you would never refer to as trophies simply because they are substantial on their own merits.

I'm happy for you? :unsure:

Jacob

In my understanding, the term "trophy wife" is applied to a woman who is younger and was poorer than her successful husband, when you presume that he married her because she's young and hot and she married him for the money; and that there is nothing to the relationship beyond that.

sbr

I want to find a Sugar Momma.

Christ, I would almost consider a Sugar Daddy at this point.

Grey Fox

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 11, 2013, 04:18:59 PM
Just noticed former Sky Sports chick Georgie Thompson is now cohosting a show with Regis Philbin on Fox Sports 1. Hmm...

Don't forget Charissa too on Fox Sports Live.

Also, go to hell for stealing Jay & Dan and not even have the decency to appreciate them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on September 11, 2013, 07:44:20 PM
I want to find a Sugar Momma.

Christ, I would almost consider a Sugar Daddy at this point.

Hello, sailor.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2013, 01:55:58 PM
I think she's a Professor of something. I remember reading she's the first working wife of a VP for ages.

She teaches at a community college; like BEEB said she has a Doctor of Education.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2013, 07:34:18 PM
In my understanding, the term "trophy wife" is applied to a woman who is younger and was poorer than her successful husband, when you presume that he married her because she's young and hot and she married him for the money; and that there is nothing to the relationship beyond that.

That is the correct standard.  CC is wrong.   The Trophy Wife is material evidence that you have finally won at life, and therefore entitled to all the perks for which that station is due;  namely, young ass.

Your first wife, the one that bore your children and sacrificed her own dreams in helping you achieve yours, gets the consolation gift: alimony.