News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

How viable/easy is vagabonding over to Japan and landing an English-teaching job anyway? :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2013, 03:34:04 PM
That age are fun. They have no qualms about speaking to foreigners in japanese. And I guess there's not much stress about teaching to be had.
Though I do hear these English day cares are really exhausting.

That's exactly the point.  Kids that age are incredibly fun.  But they have boundless energy.

For someone who values laziness as much as Lettow does... :ph34r:

L, I'm just giving you the gears though.  I just realized you and I aren't on the best of terms so you might not take it as such.  Congrats on the new job. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lettow77

Goodness, I woke up at 6 AM!

But no, that's a valid concern. My overall impression based on the activities I did on the first day was that it did indeed look tiring- singing and dancing is an aspect of it, after all, and in general maintaining a fairly high level of enthusiasm and energy that contrasts with my much-valued laziness.

Fortunately, acting silly with children isn't really kin to the hard work I fear. For the first six months i'll only be working four days a week anyhow. While the objections about the work it entails may be valid, i'm definitely in no position or inclination to complain that it'll be work outside my comfort zone. It -is- work, after all. The boss seems reassuringly irresponsible and unprofessional. Long-term, I may want to seek teaching an older age group.

As for how can you teach 1&2 year olds anything- I shared your concern! For that age a parent comes in as well, so its sort of teaching both,  and its shorter than other classes. But I had thoughts like "What a farce, kid wants to lay down rather than have anything to do with this" that swiftly turned into "What bold initiative! He's fearlessly just laying down rather than having anything to do with this..)

You'd be surprised though. Managed to get more english out of him than you'd think. A boy who wasn't yet two picked some plastic fruit out of a bag and told me it was a lemon, and then that lemons weren't delicious.

The age 5-6 class has much cuter children, because by then they've realized the importance of having immaculate bangs.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ideologue

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 23, 2013, 04:24:26 PM
The age 5-6 class has much cuter children, because by then they've realized the importance of having immaculate bangs.

I'm having another moral quandary.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2013, 04:25:48 PM

Seems Lettuce is not. :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

:huh:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on August 23, 2013, 04:45:42 PM

Ide like bangs. Lettow also likes bangs. Moral Quandary.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 23, 2013, 04:53:57 PM

I get it. I find it dispicable that he would go there.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Josquius

Quote from: merithyn on August 23, 2013, 04:45:42 PM

Bangs? As in a fringe? Or shagging? :huh:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on August 23, 2013, 04:56:02 PM

I get it. I find it dispicable that he would go there.

I'm not sure if he did. The quandary could be whether it's moral to have the same aesthetic sensibilities as Lettow.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 23, 2013, 05:01:57 PM
Bangs? As in a fringe? Or shagging? :huh:

Fringe, assuming that's a haircut.

Lettow77

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 23, 2013, 04:59:35 PM
Awesome school bus conversion:

From the article:
QuoteI'm looking forward to pushing this project further, continuing to build out the necessary systems and modifying the elements that need more iteration, in order to better understand living in tiny spaces, and expand discussion about living small.

A whole bus is living small, he says  :lol:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2013, 03:13:53 PM
How can you teach 1 and 2 year olds anything?

Generally it is probably very difficult, but to teach them a language? It may be the perfect time...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on August 23, 2013, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2013, 03:13:53 PM
How can you teach 1 and 2 year olds anything?

Generally it is probably very difficult, but to teach them a language? It may be the perfect time...

Yes, but as has been mentioned previously... antebellum Southern English? Good idea? Or great idea?!!!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.