News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2013, 04:59:26 PM
I should update my status, as they say on FB.

Back in April I posted that as of June 28 the ethnic  newspaper I work at, of which I was arts and culture editor, was shutting its doors and  was to be out of a job. Well the entire community, outside of Malthus, rallied and a successful attempt was made at restructuring the paper. Several people were let go, but I was not one of them. The entire management, though, was given a package. A search is under way for a new editor in chief, but in the meanwhile, that post has gone to me, as Interim Editor in Chief. It's a fairly thankless task and much of my day is pretty administrative (I'm meeting a member of Prime Minister Harper's team, a Mark Adler, MP, in a couple weeks...should I behave?) and stressful. But at least I'm employed and there will be a bonus at the end. Though when a new editor is selected, my future once again is up in the air.

But for now, what I thought would be a lazy, quiet summer has turned into a fairly busy, stressful summer with no holiday in sight for a while.

I now finally figured out who you are on FB and why it keeps suggesting you as friend :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 08:58:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 08:57:38 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 08:53:50 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 08:52:34 AM
Allergies are so bad in this town right now that about 1/4 of the company is out with sinusitis/allergies. In my department alone, 3/8 are gone, and I'm struggling to get through the day.

What bullshit.  Almost as much of a shitty excuse to miss work as menstrual cramps.

:yeahright:

If you can't stop sneezing/your eyes are swollen up, what good are you?

He's never lived in the Midwest, g. He doesn't understand.

And garbon does?  I'm not sure garbon even recognizes the Midwest as an abstract concept.  "There are cities easy of Sacramento and west of Albany?" :unsure:

I'm being a little hypocritical, though, in that the area is little more real to me than Siberia, or Jotunheim.  The only reasons I recognize the existence of the Northwest Territories at all are pizza, MST3K, and Batman.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And, yes, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Chicago = the same. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

What do you mean by ethnic newspaper Josephus?

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on July 09, 2013, 07:05:53 PM
And garbon does?  I'm not sure garbon even recognizes the Midwest as an abstract concept.  "There are cities easy of Sacramento and west of Albany?" :unsure:

I'm being a little hypocritical, though, in that the area is little more real to me than Siberia, or Jotunheim.  The only reasons I recognize the existence of the Northwest Territories at all are pizza, MST3K, and Batman.

garbon lived in Chicago for a summer, Ide. :secret:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2013, 07:10:14 PM
What do you mean by ethnic newspaper Josephus?

It's a Jewspaper.
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

Spent July 4 holiday/weekend on a farm. The owners said that  I can eat this lamb's future children the next time I visit. :)

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 07:11:28 PM

Did he meet Batman or Joel Hodgson?
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 09, 2013, 07:28:37 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 07:11:28 PM

Did he meet Batman or Joel Hodgson?

No but I did meet Max and Meri.

Besides, I did drive across the country. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2013, 05:16:41 PM
Just for that crack, I'm cancelling my subscription.  :P

But that would leave us with...um [checks] 14
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: katmai on July 09, 2013, 05:22:26 PM

I now finally figured out who you are on FB and why it keeps suggesting you as friend :P

LOL....Didn't get a friend request yet.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Saw this clip of Louis CK standup and it reminded me of Languish. The Nixon part in the last minute always cracks me up.  :lmfao:

http://youtu.be/rXcWeFn-YYM
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2013, 05:15:19 PM
Oh, for sure, I've been giving that a lot of thought. One of my original plans when I thought I'd be out of work this summer, and with my severance, was to look at taking some courses. Haven't quite decided in what ;)
accounting :P

And congrats on the reprieve :)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

fhdz

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 09, 2013, 08:22:03 PM
Saw this clip of Louis CK standup and it reminded me of Languish. The Nixon part in the last minute always cracks me up.  :lmfao:

http://youtu.be/rXcWeFn-YYM

:thumbsup:
and the horse you rode in on

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2013, 08:32:41 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2013, 05:15:19 PM
Oh, for sure, I've been giving that a lot of thought. One of my original plans when I thought I'd be out of work this summer, and with my severance, was to look at taking some courses. Haven't quite decided in what ;)
accounting :P

And congrats on the reprieve :)

Strangely I come from a family of accountants. My dad was one, my older brother is VP of accounting at a big downtown insurance firm. I was groomed for it. I guess I rebelled and picked the farthest thing from numbers I could find.