News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Syt

Browsing the Steam forums for some info on a game I come across a Russian(?) thread, started by the charmingly named:

Boϟϟ N1gger =)

Yes. The smilie is part of the name.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

The arch is reinforced unobtainium.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

It's built of the same thing Stargate SG uses to travel through wormholes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Turns out the arch, like the cake, is a lie. :(

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/nagasaki-arch-hoax.shtml

Quotehttp://message, which is circulating via email and social media, claims that two photographs taken many years apart show the miraculous survival of an "arch" in the Japanese city of Nagasaki. According to the message, the first photographs show the arch still standing after the city was all but destroyed by the atomic bomb blast of 1945 while the second photograph shows the same arch, again still standing, after Nagasaki was devastated by 2011's earthquake and tsunami.

The photographs themselves are genuine but, in fact, they do not depict the same "arch" or even the same city.

The type of structure referred to as an arch in the message is actually a torii a traditional Japanese gate most commonly found at the entrance of or sometimes inside a Shinto shrine.

The first photograph does depict a torii at Nagasaki after an atomic bomb was dropped on the city on August 9, 1945. The same photograph is included on numerous historical websites discussing the bombing. The photograph was taken by army staff photographer Yosuke Yamahata who began to record the devastation of the city on August 10, 1945, a day after the bomb was dropped.

However, the second photograph does not depict the torii at Nagasaki, but rather another torii leading to Kozuchi shrine at the town of Otsuchi, Iwate prefecture, Japan. Otsuchi was indeed devastated by the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan in March 2011.

Nagasaki is located some 1300 kilometers away from Otsuchi. Nagasaki was not directly affected by March's earthquake and tsunami.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Kleves

QuoteWell, here's a sobering, yet not surprising, information bomb you can absorb as you clean up breakfast eaten on your Ikea dishes at your Ikea table and then sit back in your Ikea chair and prop your feet up on your Ikea coffee table. In 2012, Ikea used 17.8 million cubic yards of wood while manufacturing the roughly 100 million products they sell each year, which comes out to roughly one percent of the world's commercial wood supply. That's enough wood to build a stairway to the moon and a corkscrew slide back to earth, with enough left over to build a three-season lunar gazebo. We think. Science is tricky.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

I would think that building stairway to the moon is a little more complicated than just lengthening the regular stairway.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2013, 07:02:44 PM
I would think that building stairway to the moon is a little more complicated than just lengthening the regular stairway.

Yeah, you also need at least one twin-neck guitar and a monster drum-kit.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I did a Japanese test yesterday. In the room was only one other white guy, the rest were all Chinese and Thai.
I failed epicly. Was unsure of even taking it since I knew it was too hard for me (sign up error....) but the silly way in which I totally mis-remembered some things...ouch.
Oh well. Its practice for when I do it for real in December.

Quotehttp://message, which is circulating via email and social media, claims that two photographs taken many years apart show the miraculous survival of an "arch" in the Japanese city of Nagasaki. According to the message, the first photographs show the arch still standing after the city was all but destroyed by the atomic bomb blast of 1945 while the second photograph shows the same arch, again still standing, after Nagasaki was devastated by 2011's earthquake and tsunami.

The photographs themselves are genuine but, in fact, they do not depict the same "arch" or even the same city.

The type of structure referred to as an arch in the message is actually a torii a traditional Japanese gate most commonly found at the entrance of or sometimes inside a Shinto shrine.

The first photograph does depict a torii at Nagasaki after an atomic bomb was dropped on the city on August 9, 1945. The same photograph is included on numerous historical websites discussing the bombing. The photograph was taken by army staff photographer Yosuke Yamahata who began to record the devastation of the city on August 10, 1945, a day after the bomb was dropped.

However, the second photograph does not depict the torii at Nagasaki, but rather another torii leading to Kozuchi shrine at the town of Otsuchi, Iwate prefecture, Japan. Otsuchi was indeed devastated by the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan in March 2011.

Nagasaki is located some 1300 kilometers away from Otsuchi. Nagasaki was not directly affected by March's earthquake and tsunam
Wait? what? And people believed this? Nagasaki is the complete opposite end of the country. :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

A thread about the upcoming German general elections this year has been locked by the mods, due to some people mentioning the Pirate Party (which is a highly banned topic on P'dox), with a threat to put German politics on the banned topics list.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Awww, how cute;  Paradox Forums thinks it's people.