News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2013, 08:04:47 PM
You really owe it to yourself to read For Whom the Bell Tolls.  It's a masterpiece.

Plus the protagonist is a commie.  :)

I'll add it to my list. Thanks. :)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Lettow77

Sydney, Australia is no sort of place to find yourself. The next four weeks will be quite a trial, I think.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Why will you be in Sydney?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 30, 2013, 04:05:03 AM
Sydney, Australia is no sort of place to find yourself. The next four weeks will be quite a trial, I think.

I could think of much worse places there Sport.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 30, 2013, 11:40:55 AM

Probably been watching too many Mad Max movies.

Eddie Teach

Aussies trying to deport you?  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 11:44:17 AM

Probably been watching too many Mad Max movies.

Or Neighbours.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Returning to For Whom the Bell Tolls for a moment, one of the most brilliant parts of the book to me is the way Hemingway renders/translates Spanish dialogue in English.  To me it feels like Spaniards talking.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of native Spanish speakers.  Do you think he captured the feel of the language?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 04:12:57 PM
Returning to For Whom the Bell Tolls for a moment, one of the most brilliant parts of the book to me is the way Hemingway renders/translates Spanish dialogue in English.  To me it feels like Spaniards talking.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of native Spanish speakers.  Do you think he captured the feel of the language?

Haven't read the book or anything else by him. The one classic American writer I'm getting into is Steinbeck.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on June 30, 2013, 05:19:37 PM
The one classic American writer I'm getting into is Steinbeck.

I prefer Steinbeck over Hemingway any day of the week and think he writes circles around Shotgun Ernie, but you should at the very least read For Whom The Bell Tolls, if only to have one Hemingway work under your belt.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 05:33:41 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 30, 2013, 05:19:37 PM
The one classic American writer I'm getting into is Steinbeck.

I prefer Steinbeck over Hemingway any day of the week and think he writes circles around Shotgun Ernie, but you should at the very least read For Whom The Bell Tolls, if only to have one Hemingway work under your belt.

I actually own the book, but haven't started on it yet. I'll have to move it up the almost endless "to read" pile.

What about "The old man and the sea"?

HVC

Plus they're super racist, so he'll feel right at home.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on June 30, 2013, 05:37:14 PM
What about "The old man and the sea"?

I liked it, but would put FWTB before it on the "If Only One Hemingway Work" list.  :)

You could probably knock it out in an evening if you're a marathon reader.