News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've been invited to a job interview in Osaka.
I don't know what to do. Previously my plan was to keep teaching in another city and this is a pretty good seeming teaching gig. Lately though I've moved away from delaying the future and towards trying to go to Tokyo, working crappy teaching jobs and getting internships and things done at other times....its difficult.
Plus of course its not a cert I would get the job, especially since it involves spending 50 quid and 8 hours on a bus before the interview.
Turning down the good money....I'm stupid.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 17, 2013, 07:37:56 PM
I've been invited to a job interview in Osaka.
I don't know what to do. Previously my plan was to keep teaching in another city and this is a pretty good seeming teaching gig. Lately though I've moved away from delaying the future and towards trying to go to Tokyo, working crappy teaching jobs and getting internships and things done at other times....its difficult.
Plus of course its not a cert I would get the job, especially since it involves spending 50 quid and 8 hours on a bus before the interview.
Turning down the good money....I'm stupid.

Though 8 hours is quite some time to travel for a job if you don't want it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2013, 07:35:41 PM
So Is Marty gone?

One of his American lovers (Jaron) said he's on some vacation.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Why not look towards moving to London?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 17, 2013, 03:16:53 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2013, 12:37:16 PM
From an Economist article about the Spanish language, the interesting observation that Spanish is widely studied as a second language in only three countries: the US, Brazil, and France.

Spanish is indeed overrated in France, except perhaps in the East namely Elsass-Mosel. Should have studied it as a third language because that's not exactly difficult. German is way more useful professionnally but is seen as difficult by most French people who think Spanish is easier. Grammar yes, but not pronunciation and stress (same issues as German).

Heh. How could pronunciation in Spanish be any easier?

derspiess

Yeah.  You just learn some simple rules & have at it.  Dunno why Spanish pronunciation was so tough for my redneck high school classmates-- MEE LAMMO HOSAYYY
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Why not look towards moving to London?
I need a job, not a knife in the chest.
Maybe next year if things fail in Japan. I want to stay here a little longer and try and get my Japanese up.

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 08:01:57 PM

Though 8 hours is quite some time to travel for a job if you don't want it.
I don't want it, but I do need a job and am unlikely to get one I do want anytime soon.
This job does have good conditions and good money compared to most teaching jobs, and Osaka is a good city, lacks the alternative scene and opportunities of Tokyo, nor does it have the nice food and pretty calls of Fukuoka, but it is good. Most people have to work out in the countryside, not in such a great place.
I hope its not just thinking about friends and other such stuff I shouldn't care about that is putting me off here. It might even be something so stupid as not wanting the inconvenience of the move. But it fits in so perfectly with my old plan. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Iormlund on June 17, 2013, 08:13:08 PM
Heh. How could pronunciation in Spanish be any easier?

Get rid of "rr" for starters.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on June 17, 2013, 08:06:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2013, 07:35:41 PM
So Is Marty gone?

One of his American lovers (Jaron) said he's on some vacation.

I'd feel bad if I drove him off. :(  Just cause he wants me to die doesn't mean I have any real animosity towards him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2013, 08:20:43 PM
Yeah.  You just learn some simple rules & have at it.  Dunno why Spanish pronunciation was so tough for my redneck high school classmates-- MEE LAMMO HOSAYYY

Wholeah!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Osaka is pretty cool.

What's the alternative, Tyr?

Lettow77

What sort of weirdo would seek out a has-been city of hucksters like Osaka? The insults against the glorious Inaka should not stand, either. You have internalized Japan's irrational distaste for it. I was just in Oarai and it was delicious.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 18, 2013, 12:52:37 AM
What sort of weirdo would seek out a has-been city of hucksters like Osaka? The insults against the glorious Inaka should not stand, either. You have internalized Japan's irrational distaste for it. I was just in Oarai and it was delicious.
I had to check up where that place is.
Ibaraki? Really? :x
Why were you there?

What happened with you anyway? did you get into Jet?

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2013, 10:25:25 PM
Osaka is pretty cool.

What's the alternative, Tyr?

A less good paying job with generally worse conditions (like having to actually work for my money. The horror!) in Tokyo- however this wouldn't be 9-5 thus leaving me open for Japanese classes and internships and all that stuff during normal working hours.
Earlier in the year I was pretty straight forward thinking about a third year teaching and was wanting to go to a different part of Japan. Was really heavily dreaming about Fukuoka with Kansai as a compromise option. Now though...I don't know.
Also I'm feeling super lazy this week.
Think I'll tell them no. :(
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

ha ha! employment! no no. What we are doing now is more akin to gyokusai. Employment may emerge from it, though.

-naturally- I was in Oarai to sample their famous sweet potatoes and white radish, as well as their Angler Fish, the deliciousness of which is rumored from afar. There is no other reason for sure. But no, It was charming. One could feel the decay and mono no aware in the air, and the scarce inhabitants of the deserted streets were invariably elderly. I would like to live there.

Fukuoka is of course very charming, unlike Kansai. But I dscourage you from coming here- we cant have foreigners stinking up the place.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 17, 2013, 03:16:53 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2013, 12:37:16 PM
From an Economist article about the Spanish language, the interesting observation that Spanish is widely studied as a second language in only three countries: the US, Brazil, and France.

Spanish is indeed overrated in France, except perhaps in the East namely Elsass-Mosel. Should have studied it as a third language because that's not exactly difficult. German is way more useful professionnally but is seen as difficult by most French people who think Spanish is easier. Grammar yes, but not pronunciation and stress (same issues as German).

Spanish is spoken by 400 million and can be used to somewhat communicate with Portugese speakers (another 200 million).  German is spoken by 100 million. I fail to see how German can be way more useful.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point