And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2013, 03:33:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2013, 03:28:44 PM
Hopefully you've got some Southwest Airlines stock;  they just dumped 300 employees in Atlanta, so you should be able to profiteer off of that.
Are you crazy?  I don't touch airline stocks. :rolleyes:

I wish I had bought Alaska Air a little while back.  :sleep:

MadImmortalMan

Too risky. Airline stocks are the same as airplanes. When the trip is over, they are going to land on the ground.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2013, 03:58:39 PM
Too risky. Airline stocks are the same as airplanes. When the trip is over, they are going to land on the ground.
They always land on the ground one way or another, so there is some predictability there.

The Brain

Yeah, the Hudson doesn't exist. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

DGuller

Phillip V

Apple has rebounded nicely (10%) since last week. I look forward to collecting the quarterly dividend next week.

11B4V

Quote(Newser) – Feds are working on a proposal to push big online companies to comply with government wiretapping orders. Under the measure, which hasn't yet gained White House approval, the likes of Google and Facebook would be fined increasing amounts if they refused to submit to the orders, the Washington Post reports. The goal: to prevent suspicious figures from "going dark" online, their actions hidden from authorities.

Right now, "we don't have the ability to go to court and say, 'We need a court order to effectuate the intercept,'" says the FBI's general counsel. "Other countries have that." Smaller companies wouldn't face the fines, which could begin at tens of thousands of dollars and climb with failure to pay. But online privacy activists are already speaking out against the idea. "This proposal is a non-starter that would drive innovators overseas and cost American jobs," says one. "They might as well call it the Cyber Insecurity and Anti-Employment Act."
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2013, 09:46:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2013, 09:40:32 AM
I had a dream last night where I went back to school for undergrad and double majored in Sociology and English. :hmm:

Interesting.

I keep having a recurring dream that I'm missing credits or classes from high school or college, and have to figure out what the hell happened and what to do with all these "Incompletes" in my life.

I believe that's fairly common. I guess it's an anxiety dream or something. I have that, pretty much the same, where now, in my mid-40s, I realize I have to go back to school to pick up a credit. I also have variations of theis theme, such as:

It's exam time and I misplaced my schedule, so I dont know what exams I have OR...I cant find the proper classroom.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

sbr

I have a dream where I am back in college and I have a midterm or final, but I don't have any idea where the class is because I haven't shown up all term.

Admiral Yi

I've had that one several times.

The worst was the 20 page paper due in two days, haven't started researching, and library is open for another 4 hours.

I had that exact dream, frame for frame, about 10 times.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on April 29, 2013, 06:42:45 PM
I have a dream where I am back in college and I have a midterm or final, but I don't have any idea where the class is because I haven't shown up all term.

Yeah, I have one similar to that a lot;  the semester ends the next day, and only then did I realize that I was registered for it.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2013, 06:58:46 PM
Quote from: sbr on April 29, 2013, 06:42:45 PM

Yeah, I have one similar to that a lot;  the semester ends the next day, and only then did I realize that I was registered for it.

Weird.  I guess it must be pretty common, because I've had that same dream about law school tons of times.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 06:56:56 PM
I've had that one several times.

The worst was the 20 page paper due in two days, haven't started researching, and library is open for another 4 hours.

I had that exact dream, frame for frame, about 10 times.

Thankfully these days you can get a lot of things online. Particularly in college with a JSTOR account.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.