And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 01:10:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:07:37 PM
I don't keep track of such policies though of course, I do know about how a person can get more benefits as a single mother raising kids. I think that if single motherhood is encouraged by that, it is a perverse effect, not an intent that children should be raised solely by their mother.

Name a single Democrat who has said "even though child care credits are overall a good idea, it's too bad that it promotes single motherhood."

I can't think of anyone since Daniel Moynihan myself.

So that's your proof that they want to promote single motherhood? Let's play the opposite side - can you name a Democrat who said it is so great that we're promoting single motherhood over two parent families? If you can, I'll concede the point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:13:48 PM
So that's your proof that they want to promote single motherhood? Let's play the opposite side - can you name a Democrat who said it is so great that we're promoting single motherhood over two parent families? If you can, I'll concede the point.

If you got the impression I believe Democrats want to promote single motherhood I apologize for the miscommunication. 

The standard party line is that single motherhood is a terrible burden and we should do everything possible to help them out.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 20, 2013, 01:16:30 PM
I like The New Normal.

I thought it got tiring what with its staid race/gay jokes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 01:17:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:13:48 PM

If you got the impression I believe Democrats want to promote single motherhood I apologize for the miscommunication. 

The standard party line is that single motherhood is a terrible burden and we should do everything possible to help them out.

Which seems about right to me and covers preventing people from becoming single mothers in the first place. A lot of black dems, iirc, go on about the importance of black fathers not abandoning their children.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:18:36 PM
I like The New Normal.

Meh, she's not as prominent along the storylines as much anymore.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:19:50 PM
Which seems about right to me and covers preventing people from becoming single mothers in the first place. A lot of black dems, iirc, go on about the importance of black fathers not abandoning their children.

I don't understand the bolded part.

As to the going on bit, the author of the article clearly thinks that going on is not a sufficient policy.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 20, 2013, 01:20:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 01:18:36 PM
I like The New Normal.

Meh, she's not as prominent along the storylines as much anymore.

I've no idea - I stopped watching. On the gay jokes, I thought the two gay characters and the black lady had a bunch as well. Other than the novelty of having the gay family be the prominent stars of the show, didn't see much to keep my attention.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on March 20, 2013, 12:22:13 PM
My father taught me by negative example.

Much like when George Costanza begins doing the opposite of what he would normally do, I came to realize that if I did the opposite of what my dad did I'd turn out to be at minimum a pretty decent dad.

This.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Just caught Barry and Bibi making mad passionate love on CNN.  A little surprised by that.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

I get my quota of sitcom ghey with Modern Family.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2013, 05:50:56 PM
I get my quota of sitcom ghey with Modern Family.

Yeah of the two I like Modern Family better.

katmai

As a republican i thought you didn't believe in quotas?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son