And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 10:21:47 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2013, 10:18:30 AM
That's more a rule than the exception.  Anyway, mostly due to this, I just choose to stick with Triple Stacker;  at least Burger King knows what's supposed to go in the food-like products they sell.

No burger joint forces you to choose toppings.  No chink joint, no pizza joint, no taco joint, no chicken joint, nothing.  Subway is the only place.

Subway must be run by Jews, right?  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2013, 10:27:03 AM

Usually Arabs.

You have the logic wrong.  There is nothing about the Jewish variant of neuroses that leads your people to owning and operating Subways; rather Jewish neuroses are particularly afflicted by the abundant choices a customer is required to make there.

Bottom line: Jews should not eat at Subway.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 10:21:47 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2013, 10:18:30 AM
That's more a rule than the exception.  Anyway, mostly due to this, I just choose to stick with Triple Stacker;  at least Burger King knows what's supposed to go in the food-like products they sell.

No burger joint forces you to choose toppings.  No chink joint, no pizza joint, no taco joint, no chicken joint, nothing.  Subway is the only place.

Five Guys asks you to choose.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 10:29:55 AM

Usually Arabs.

You have the logic wrong.  There is nothing about the Jewish variant of neuroses that leads your people to owning and operating Subways; rather Jewish neuroses are particularly afflicted by the abundant choices a customer is required to make there.

It's all Indians around here.  Always wondered how they felt serving roast beef (assuming Hindu) or I guess ham if they were Muslim.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2013, 10:12:59 AM
On a related note, one thing that always annoyed me is that it's hard to make a simple order in most fast food places.  If I want to try some new sandwich, I don't know WTF I want or don't want on it, I've never tried it before.  Don't ask me six questions about mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.  Just give me a fucking sandwich, I'm not a fucking chef.  Unfortunately, if I say "just give me what normally goes on it", that either results in severe confusion on their part, or them putting everything possible on it.  :rolleyes:

and you demonstrate why I don't like the guy's argument :P

one's unwillingness or incapability for choosing between all alternatives should not result in the elimination of said alternatives for every single person.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 10:37:56 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2013, 10:12:59 AM
On a related note, one thing that always annoyed me is that it's hard to make a simple order in most fast food places.  If I want to try some new sandwich, I don't know WTF I want or don't want on it, I've never tried it before.  Don't ask me six questions about mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.  Just give me a fucking sandwich, I'm not a fucking chef.  Unfortunately, if I say "just give me what normally goes on it", that either results in severe confusion on their part, or them putting everything possible on it.  :rolleyes:

and you demonstrate why I don't like the guy's argument :P

one's unwillingness or incapability for choosing between all alternatives should not result in the elimination of said alternatives for every single person.
Well, we all make inferences about how things generally work from our personal experiences.  It's certainly possible that sometimes personal experience is misleading and not representative, and that in reality most people aren't annoyed by the interrogation at a fast food counter, or that most Hungarians aren't ideologically dogmatic backwards beet farmers.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 10:29:55 AM

Usually Arabs.

I'll have to test that out. If I fail to have an attack of acute Neuroses when eating at Subway, I'll  have to hand in my Elders of Zion card.  :(

[Acute nausea is a given.  :P]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2013, 10:47:59 AM
I'll have to test that out. If I fail to have an attack of acute Neuroses when eating at Subway, I'll  have to hand in my Elders of Zion card.  :(

Your defensiveness is impacting your cognition.  The fact that a particular strain of neuroses is more prevalent among Jews does not mean that all Jews are afflicted with it.

fhdz

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 09:59:34 AM
what is he arguing then?

As Louis CK puts it so succinctly: "Everything is amazing and no one is happy."

It isn't whining; it is pointing out an actual paradox. If you study what a paradox is, you will notice that it does not mean that he is ignoring the good aspects of choice. Quite the contrary, in fact.

You see it as whining because you are predisposed ideologically to value choice above all else - you are exactly what he is talking about in the very beginning of his lecture.
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

Study of Men's Falling Income Cites Single Parents

'Boys raised in single-parent households, particularly those headed by women, appear to fare poorly.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/business/economy/as-men-lose-economic-ground-clues-in-the-family.html
QuoteDavid H. Autor, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, says that the difference between men and women, at least in part, may have roots in childhood. Only 63 percent of children lived in a household with two parents in 2010, down from 82 percent in 1970. The single parents raising the rest of those children are predominantly female. And there is growing evidence that sons raised by single mothers "appear to fare particularly poorly," Professor Autor wrote in an analysis for Third Way, a center-left policy research organization.
"If Democrats have as their goal being the party of the middle class, they have to come to the realization that they're not going to be able to get there solely through their standard explanations," said Mr. Cowan, a veteran of the Clinton administration. "We need to ask, 'How can we get these fathers back involved in their children's lives?' "

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 10:52:16 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2013, 10:47:59 AM

Your defensiveness is impacting your cognition.  The fact that a particular strain of neuroses is more prevalent among Jews does not mean that all Jews are afflicted with it.

No doubt defensiveness is another weakness Jews are prone to. Weakens our cognition.

Dammit we just can't win.  :(

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on March 20, 2013, 12:07:13 PM
Study of Men's Falling Income Cites Single Parents

'Boys raised in single-parent households, particularly those headed by women, appear to fare poorly.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/business/economy/as-men-lose-economic-ground-clues-in-the-family.html
QuoteDavid H. Autor, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, says that the difference between men and women, at least in part, may have roots in childhood. Only 63 percent of children lived in a household with two parents in 2010, down from 82 percent in 1970. The single parents raising the rest of those children are predominantly female. And there is growing evidence that sons raised by single mothers "appear to fare particularly poorly," Professor Autor wrote in an analysis for Third Way, a center-left policy research organization.
"If Democrats have as their goal being the party of the middle class, they have to come to the realization that they're not going to be able to get there solely through their standard explanations," said Mr. Cowan, a veteran of the Clinton administration. "We need to ask, 'How can we get these fathers back involved in their children's lives?' "

There are a lot of things my mother couldn't teach me. I definitely suffered for not having my dad around.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on March 20, 2013, 12:07:13 PM

So they should be asking a question people have asked for decades?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2013, 12:12:17 PM
No doubt defensiveness is another weakness Jews are prone to.

Debatable.