News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 02:27:16 AM
An other English question: the scotch Chivas Regal. Do you pronounce the "ch" as in lunch, or as in chemistry?

I've always pronounced it "sheeves reegal".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2013, 12:29:31 AM
A single room apartment is a studio apartment.

Sometimes also a bachelor apartment.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on March 20, 2013, 04:52:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 02:27:16 AM
An other English question: the scotch Chivas Regal. Do you pronounce the "ch" as in lunch, or as in chemistry?

I've always pronounced it "sheeves reegal".

Same.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 03:47:42 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 11:06:29 AM
http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

Everything is amazing and no one is happy.

the "first world problems" meme had to be made based on that piece of whiny BS :P "too much choice OMG TEH HORROR"
Live in a country where you have any choice and then come back to us.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2013, 08:14:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 03:47:42 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 11:06:29 AM
http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

Everything is amazing and no one is happy.

the "first world problems" meme had to be made based on that piece of whiny BS :P "too much choice OMG TEH HORROR"
Live in a country where you have any choice and then come back to us.

you might not remember Mr. Ukraine, but I was a kid during the glorious communist economy, where each product had one, maybe two types. The present abundance of choice is much preferred, and superiority-complexed smartasses like that guy should visit North Korea, or rural parts of almost any third world countries to realize what a load of bullcrap his theory is.

Ed Anger

Beet vs radioactive potato. FIGHT!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 08:28:27 AM
you might not remember Mr. Ukraine, but I was a kid during the glorious communist economy, where each product had one, maybe two types. The present abundance of choice is much preferred, and superiority-complexed smartasses like that guy should visit North Korea, or rural parts of almost any third world countries to realize what a load of bullcrap his theory is.
Abundance of choice may be preferred over one or two choices, but a moderate number of choices may be better still.  One of the things people learn when they get out of Eastern Europe is that you don't have to bounce between extremes.

Admiral Yi

Just got my federal refund. :yeah:

Damn that was quick.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2013, 08:51:17 AM
Just got my federal refund. :yeah:

Damn that was quick.

Big Government - having enough well trained administrators in place to do the job efficiently and in a timely manner ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2013, 08:42:57 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 08:28:27 AM
Abundance of choice may be preferred over one or two choices, but a moderate number of choices may be better still.  One of the things people learn when they get out of Eastern Europe is that you don't have to bounce between extremes.

Be a sheep if you want. "limit choices so I don't have to choose between that much". BS. That means somebody is making those choices instead of you, so people ARE capable of making those choices.

Ed Anger

There is only one blueberry choice.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2013, 08:59:51 AM
Big Government - having enough well trained administrators in place to do the job efficiently and in a timely manner ?

No.  That's efficient government.

I think it's all mostly computerized these days anyway.

Tamas

besides, that second video explains very well why lotsa choices are good :)

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2013, 09:01:49 AM
Be a sheep if you want. "limit choices so I don't have to choose between that much". BS. That means somebody is making those choices instead of you, so people ARE capable of making those choices.
That's idiotic, and shows that you completely miss the point of the paradox.  The inefficiency comes not from the human inability to make a choice, but rather from the fact that every single individual has to make a choice from a large list. 

If an individual employee has a choice from 200 401k investment options rather than 10, it's unlikely that he'll significantly improve his returns.  However, he may be paralyzed by the fear of making the wrong choice, and just not participate at all, which would be a huge mistake.  Or, he may just waste too much time doing research to likewise avoid making a mistake, which multiplied by a 1,000 employees in a company amounts of a huge waste of time.

That doesn't mean that somebody like a professionally trained plan administrator is incapable of pruning the list.  If he does prune the list, then you go from a situation where 1,000 people have to choose among 200 options, to 1 person choosing from 200 options, and 999 people choosing from 10 options.  That would be a huge improvement:  less research costs, and less opportunity costs from decision paralysis.