News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Shame records are crappy in less developed countries. Lots of Indian, Arab, etc... guys claiming to be of a similar age too.

It is pretty amazing to think that here we have people who were old during WW2.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Should be rather entertaining:

Sabbath star Tony Iommi pens Armenian Eurovision entry

Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi has written the song which will represent Armenia in the Eurovision Song Contest.

His "rock ballad" Lonely Planet will be performed at this year's contest in Sweden by Armenian act Dorians.

:cool:

rest of item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-21689249

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Another miserable night. When I cough or sneeze, all the muscles in my chest ache like hell. And my throat feels like someone's been at it with coarse sandpaper. At least my temperature has gone down from 38° last night to 37.5° this morning.

Guess it's time to see the doctor for some off time. (The company requires me a doctor's confirmation if I'm sick for more than 2 days.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

People are still cheap today... in a really bad way.

'Slaves today cost a median price of $140. The lifetime profit on a brickmaking slave in Brazil is $8700 and $2000 in India. Sexual slavery brings the owner $18000 over the slave's working life in Thailand and $49000 in Los Angeles.'

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/global-slavery-by-the-numbers/

Eddie Teach

Dang, even I can afford that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Its funny when stereotypes come true.
Towards the end of todays Japanese class which until now has been 1 to 1 a Chinese mother and daughter were thrown in. My teacher was speaking to them about the daughter joining the lesson (cuteness: Unknown. Wearing surgical mask). The mother of course gets really into the nitty gritty about money. The perfectly fair normal price is too much! She demands a few dollars less! Pffff.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on March 07, 2013, 02:50:50 AM

'Slaves today cost a median price of $140. The lifetime profit on a brickmaking slave in Brazil is $8700 and $2000 in India. Sexual slavery brings the owner $18000 over the slave's working life in Thailand and $49000 in Los Angeles.'

That's it?

IIRC a slave in the antebellum south would cost $30k in today's money.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 07, 2013, 10:31:33 AM

That's it?

IIRC a slave in the antebellum south would cost $30k in today's money.

For what, an old woman?  A healthy male in his 20s would fetch a much higher price than that-- like half a million IIRC.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on March 06, 2013, 02:03:58 PM

The last living persons born in the 19th century:
Jiroemon Kimura, M, Born 19 April 1897, Japanese
Misao Okawa, F, Born 5 March 1898, Japanese
Maria Redaelli-Granoli, F, Born 3 April 1899, Italian
Elsie Thompson, F, Born 5 April 1899, American
Jeralean Talley, F, Born 23 May 1899, American
Susannah Jones, F, Born 6 July 1899, American
Bernice Madigan, F, Born 24 July 1899, American
Soledad Mexia, F, Born 13 August 1899, American
Evelyn Kozak, F, Born 14 August 1899, American
Mitsue Nagasaki, F, Born 18 September 1899, Japanese
Emma Morano-Martinuzzi, F, Born 29 November 1899, Italian
Grace Jones, F, Born 7 December 1899, British

Some trivia:
Grace Jones is one of the two last surviving subjects of Queen Victoria. Her 19-year old fiance was killed almost 100 years ago in World War I. She never married.
Susannah Jones was in her mid 50s when segregation ended in her native Alabama, and retired in the 1960s at the height of the civil rights movement.
Jiroemon Kimura farmed until the aged of 90. His wife died in 1978, he lives with his son's widow and his grandson's widow, and still has five surviving children. He has seen 4 emperors and 61 Prime Ministers during his life.
Two of Misao Okawa's three children are still living, both in their 90s

None of those born in 1900 survived?  :huh:

Ideologue

Slaves are easy to make.  It's called a supply demand curve.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

HBC has come out with a new logo.  Or, rather, a very, very old logo:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Are they hoping beaver hats come back "in"?  :Canuck:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Those meese have no penii.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 02:07:12 PM

Sure they do, they're just cloaked in shadow.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on March 07, 2013, 02:23:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2013, 02:07:12 PM

Sure they do, they're just cloaked in shadow.

Yeah.

And they have four beavers to choose from!  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius