News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

Quote from: Phillip V on March 02, 2013, 07:15:56 PM
PayPay resolution only works if the seller account still exists (a real company).

What scammers do is withdraw all funds from their account before PayPal can recover the funds for the disputee.

I think (but am not sure) a term and condition of membership with PayPal is that PayPal can take funds out of your bank account in the event that PayPal resolves a dispute against you.

I actually had a positive PayPal experience with getting money back. I rented an apartment online for a couple days in Paris last summer and paid a deposit of $100 online.

A few days before the trip was supposed to start, I never got a confirmation e-mail like I expected. A day before I was supposed to check in, I get an e-mail saying the apartment had a fire and therefore it was not available. I was promised a refund.  :rolleyes: :bleeding: I made alternative arrangements and kept e-mailing the apartment owner asking about my refund. I never got an answer. I eventually opened a dispute with PayPal.

After I opened the dispute I got an e-mail from someone new. The new person claimed that she was letting a friend use her PayPal account, and that he was scamming her and me both and that she would make me whole eventually but that the $100 was withdrawn from the account and given to her friend. I replied that it was unfortunate that she was scammed also, but that I wasn't going to close the dispute.

After a few more days PayPal resolved the dispute in my favor and gave me a full refund.

derspiess

And if PayPal doesn't resolve the matter in your favor and you used a debit or credit card to fund the transaction, you can try disputing the charge through your bank.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

QuoteExpectant parents killed in NYC crash; baby born at scene
By Alexander Smith, BreakingNews.com, and Tracy Connor, NBC News

A young couple en route to a hospital to have their first child was killed in a car crash in New York City early Sunday but the baby was born at the scene and survived.

Now that's an origin story.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Shit this getting old lark is getting, well, um, Old, couldn't recall the name of a composer, 5-10 seconds of trying didn't work, but google saved me, typed in "german monastic gothic composer 1930s" and hey presto the name I wanted.   :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

I can't wait for our glorious future!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Cool feature I found on the restoration of the White House in the late 40s. They really had to gut the building and do much of the interior from scratch.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/what-the-white-house-looks-like-completely-gutted-20130226?mrefid=site_search
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Quote from: stjaba on March 03, 2013, 08:21:46 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 02, 2013, 07:15:56 PM
PayPay resolution only works if the seller account still exists (a real company).

What scammers do is withdraw all funds from their account before PayPal can recover the funds for the disputee.

I think (but am not sure) a term and condition of membership with PayPal is that PayPal can take funds out of your bank account in the event that PayPal resolves a dispute against you.

The scammer also withdraws all money from their temporary bank account and close it. All their stuff is quickly closed so they run with the cash and open new scam accounts at new bank, PayPal, etc. No way to recover the cash.

Razgovory

Is it just me but does Kurt Vonnegut come off as a humorless dick?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Explorer-Scooter-Replacement-Battery/dp/B000JIG7C8

QuoteAvailable from these sellers.

Replacement battery ONLY for all Sea Doo Explorer Scooters, (Picture is a representation of a battery).
This Product Comes Complete With A Full Manufacturer Warranty.
1 new from $3,932,339,248,492.62
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

It's a nuclear powered battery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2013, 02:37:49 AM

Kurt Vonnegut...humorless. No, that's not a criticism I've ever heard about him...
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on March 04, 2013, 03:18:34 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2013, 02:37:49 AM

Kurt Vonnegut...humorless. No, that's not a criticism I've ever heard about him...

Facts about Kurt Vonnegut:

1)He advocated against air war.
2)He once snubbed Kevin Murphy of MST3K fame.

He is thus a dick who is humorless.  So it goes.

P.S. Player Piano: the most relevant science fiction novel of our age?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I don't know his as an author, except that I know that he is one, but he never made much of an impression on me when he appeared on The Daily Show or Colbert Report.