News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2013, 07:06:16 PM

It's tired because it is what home owners say all the time. OMG, you pay how much to rent a 1-bedroom, where? My mortgage isn't even that much? :o
Well, it's counter-intuitive, people expect to pay more to buy then to rent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2013, 09:52:06 AM

It's tired because it is what home owners say all the time. OMG, you pay how much to rent a 1-bedroom, where? My mortgage isn't even that much? :o
It's counter-intuitive partly because it's always apples to oranges comparison.  There are many financial differences between renting and buying, not just your monthly payments, and you typically rent in nicer places than you buy in.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2013, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2013, 09:52:06 AM

It's counter-intuitive partly because it's always apples to oranges comparison.  There are many financial differences between renting and buying, not just your monthly payments, and you typically rent in nicer places than you buy in.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on February 28, 2013, 09:24:30 AM
How do you die of asphyxiation while "resisting arrest"?

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Disabled-mans-death-in-custody-ruled-homicide--191499911.html

He was morbidly obese and had Down's Syndrome.  From what I read last week (?) the cops had him cuffed and lying face down on the floor for a few minutes (don't recall what they were waiting for), apparently not aware that he was struggling to breathe.  By the time they realized something was wrong it was too late. 

Very sad, unfortunate incident but I'm not sure I understand how it can be called a homicide.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Read the background to the story when it originally broke. Seems he was a big fan of cops and law enforcement, being a well known figure at his local PD for his interest in their work.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2013, 11:16:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 28, 2013, 11:11:24 AM
Because they cuffed him.

Not sufficient.

I disagree, dieing after the cops cuffed you makes it their fault.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 28, 2013, 09:24:30 AM
How do you die of asphyxiation while "resisting arrest"?

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Disabled-mans-death-in-custody-ruled-homicide--191499911.html

He was morbidly obese and had Down's Syndrome.  From what I read last week (?) the cops had him cuffed and lying face down on the floor for a few minutes (don't recall what they were waiting for), apparently not aware that he was struggling to breathe.  By the time they realized something was wrong it was too late. 

Very sad, unfortunate incident but I'm not sure I understand how it can be called a homicide.

Homicide is defined (in Canada, but I think it's fairly standard) as "A person commits homicide when, directly or indirectly, by any means, he causes the death of a human being".

So calling it a homicide is correct, and not a big deal.

The bigger question is whether it is a culpable homicide or not.  and this doesn't sound like a culpable homicide.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Barrister

derspiess

I just have a problem with how it sounds.  To me, homicide normally implies a bit more than what happened here. 

PDH

Well what would you call it, just a "cide" ?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2013, 01:08:39 PM
I just have a problem with how it sounds.  To me, homicide normally implies a bit more than what happened here.

That's because you're not a lawyer.   :showoff:

The term "homicide" implies exactly what happened here.  The actions of the cop led to this man's death.  The question is then one of culpability.