The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

erhmehgerd Engrish is herd

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2013, 10:43:28 PM
erhmehgerd Engrish is herd

It's about time everyone spoke American given the state of English.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

stagnatory just sounds more....i dunno. involved. its a bit weird when the topic is stagnation but sounds like its much more personal and happening.hmm.....

and hey, if theres one thing english is good at its redundant words
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Your entire post is a rape of the American language.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on February 26, 2013, 10:48:14 PM
Your entire post is a rape of the American language.

Using apostrophes leads to catastrophes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

im on a train, posting with my phone
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Applied to a compliance gig at Aflac.  Didn't have any specific work experience requirements, just a B.A.

I think my app got submitted before I was done though, but I think it's okay because I spent like the last forty minutes tweaking it and trying to spin spin spin my doc review XP points (in fairness, it was easier than I thought--it uses the very words "document review" in the job description) and law degree (it does require applying laws, communicating the substance of laws, and advising actions based on laws, but is TOTALLY NOT a lawyer job), and in substance the application was complete.

The position sounds rad.  Pros: room for advancement; utilizes a legal training without being a lawyer job; probably pays as well if not better than current job without 50 hour weeks; IT'S NOT TEMPORARY; job will entail real responsibilities.  Cons: may not be able to listen to podcasts and music all day or smoke whenever I want; fucking cocksucker motherfuckers ask for a criminal history, but not in Romneychussetts--my direct employer is based MA, does that count?; job will entail real responsibilities; totally won't get it. :cry:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2013, 10:55:23 PM

Then don't post on your phone. I learned what happens when you post on a kindle fire. :contract:

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2013, 10:57:53 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2013, 10:55:23 PM

Then don't post on your phone. I learned what happens when you post on a kindle fire. :contract:

whats that?
and hey, gotta kill the time somehow and finished my book :p
██████
██████
██████

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

There's a very slight chance an enormous 50km comet will slam into Mars. That'd be super cool to watch.

http://spaceobs.org/en/tag/c2013-a1-siding-spring/

QuoteSince C/2013 A1 is a hyperbolic comet and moves in a retrograde orbit, its velocity with respect to the planet will be very high, approximately 56 km/s. With the current estimate of the absolute magnitude of the nucleus M2 = 10.3, which might indicate the diameter up to 50 km, the energy of impact might reach the equivalent of staggering 2×10¹º megatonnes! This kind of event can leave a crater 500 km across and 2 km deep. Such an event would overshadow even the famous bombardment of Jupiter by the disintegrated comet Shoemaker–Levy 9 in July 1994, which by some estimates was originally 15 km in diameter.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Just a bazillion more to go and we'll have the place terraformed in no time! :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 26, 2013, 07:38:16 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 26, 2013, 07:28:35 PM
So in 1990 no state had 20% or greater obesity, 20 years later no state has an obesity rate under 20%.  :blink:

I know it's not proper math, but if weight is a normal bell curve, we could be talking about an obesity increase of 1 percentile each year.  Or at least in that ball park.

Yeah it's nuts. Too much too fast, and it's worldwide. It's hard to believe that our eating habits or exercise levels are really so vastly different than they were in the 80s.

When did HFCS got introduced as the main industrial sweetener in the US? When I was there last year everybody in our group was amazed at how sweet every foodstuff that used it was, even stuff that wasn't supposed to be sweet.

Liep

Denmark got a new so called "Super Hospital"... for pets. It comes with a 24/7 emergency room and a cancer treatment ward.

At first I was shocked that people actually wanted to spent thousands of kroners on pets, and seemingly without regard to what's best for the animal. But then I remembered buying a MacBook Air just because it looked good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Did you know that Pfizer makes ChapStick? I had no idea. Finally got some knowledge out of AE training. :D