And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 19, 2013, 07:16:53 PM
Is the custom of using the word "me" as an object and "I" as a subject going away? I've noticed them being flipped a lot recently. Or "me" being used in all cases.
I wouldn't say its recent.
Its always been one of those annoying things where the grammar books say to use I in a lot of cases where the natural inclination would be to use me.

:yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 19, 2013, 07:16:53 PM
Is the custom of using the word "me" as an object and "I" as a subject going away? I've noticed them being flipped a lot recently. Or "me" being used in all cases.
I wouldn't say its recent.
Its always been one of those annoying things where the grammar books say to use I in a lot of cases where the natural inclination would be to use me.

Me hate that kind of thing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2013, 08:26:40 AM
I'm trying to think of a situation in which the natural inclination is to use I as an object or me as a subject and am drawing a blank.  Can you help me out?

Generally when it's a case of "Soandso and I" people are likely to say "Me and Soandso" instead.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I was on television this morning;  one of the local channels, doing a thingy for pet adoption.  I was the one holding the cat that wasn't told HOW HUGE MY ASS LOOKS ON TV.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2013, 01:17:47 PM
I was on television this morning;  one of the local channels, doing a thingy for pet adoption.  I was the one holding the cat that wasn't told HOW HUGE MY ASS LOOKS ON TV.

Why would the cat be told how huge your ass looks on TV?
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

fhdz

Grey Fox

But Pet adoption is not the solution!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2013, 01:31:22 PM

You must be interested in a more...Final...solution.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2013, 01:15:49 PM
Generally when it's a case of "Soandso and I" people are likely to say "Me and Soandso" instead.

Righty-o.

Grey Fox

Quote from: fahdiz on February 20, 2013, 01:31:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2013, 01:31:22 PM

You must be interested in a more...Final...solution.

:yes: I think I've mentioned quite a few times already.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Is the video available online?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 20, 2013, 01:37:13 PM

Probably won't be;  it was more of a segue piece than anything else.  Probably not long enough to be worth posting.

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2013, 01:43:34 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 20, 2013, 01:37:13 PM

Probably won't be;  it was more of a segue piece than anything else.  Probably not long enough to be worth posting.

:console:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

HVC

Time for a YouTube search :P

*edit* nm
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.