And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: katmai on February 14, 2013, 07:35:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2013, 07:34:29 PM
What are your closest tacks so far?  6 klicks from Bilboa and 10 klicks from Paris.

12 clicks from London and 10 from Istanbul

9 from Bristol.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: katmai on February 14, 2013, 07:35:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2013, 07:34:29 PM
What are your closest tacks so far?  6 klicks from Bilboa and 10 klicks from Paris.

12 clicks from London and 10 from Istanbul

I got a few in the 4-12 range on the 4 goes I had, I think at the resolution of the browser window it's pretty much pot luck below 15.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: katmai on February 14, 2013, 07:35:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 14, 2013, 07:33:41 PM

I didn't get any Malta questions...though really, any Maltese city and you should nail it.

Not if you don't remember where in Med it is :lol:

For shame! ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2013, 07:36:20 PM
Got 84k on my second try, once I realized that shooting quicker is better than trying to pinpoint the location.

Ah that explains why I got 87k on the 4th try, whilst only on average 13kms nearer but 0.4 sec faster at 3.9 secs. 

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 14, 2013, 07:23:59 PM
I won by not taking the quiz.

I could definitely tell that I played more Western Front games than Eastern Front games in my youth.  :lol:

I did nail Minsk within 11 klicks, though.

jimmy olsen

77219 first try, 10 klicks from Paris was my best, but I averaged 150 km off in 4.1 seconds.  <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Up to 90.9k!  I got within 3 km of Vienna.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2013, 07:40:36 PM
Up to 88.6k! :yeah:

92.55k on 5th go, you're right shooting from the hip works, averaged 2.8sec each one.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2013, 07:19:28 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 14, 2013, 07:06:54 PM
A fun little Cities of Europe Geography browser quiz

http://www.geography-map-games.com/geography-games-Cities-of-Europe-_pageid44.html

I didn't break 70,000 until my 3rd try.  :Embarrass:  I blame Paradox for my poor knowledge of European geography.

Completely muffed Seville, which i should have gotten close to from reading about the Spanish Civil War.

Put Zagreb in Bosnia. :pinch: Fortunately Yuro countries are so dinky you can be a country off and only miss by 80 klicks.

For anyone else playing, you get a time bonus so don't around for 15 seconds getting the exact spot of the city.

78,919.  Cannes was my Waterloo.  I thought it was near the Channel Coast.  I think I may have been thinking of Caen.

Also Dortmund or something, a city I have literally never heard of.

They break the test by giving you the name of the country, though.  Anybody knows where Cyprus is, so you automatically get like 4500 points even if you wouldn't have been able to immediately recall where or what Nicosia even was.  Not me.  I don't mean me.  I knew where it was.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Up to to my 5th attempt, and got 93.5k! :smarty:

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2013, 07:48:11 PM
Stupid Bratislava.
The Balkans are really a balkanized clusterfuck.  It's hard to remember where all those new countries are, and that damn Croatia is so stretched out that even knowing where it is doesn't help.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2013, 07:49:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2013, 07:48:11 PM
Stupid Bratislava.
The Balkans are really a balkanized clusterfuck.  It's hard to remember where all those new countries are, and that damn Croatia is so stretched out that even knowing where it is doesn't help.

Stupid Ljujubeanlj.