News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on January 02, 2013, 12:25:34 PM
YOu have to feel for the execs at places like A&E, History, and the like.

I imagine they want to run more programming true to their original purpose, but the reality crap is so cheap to produce, and does so well in the ratings...
Problem is, the history part of The History Channel ain't so hot either.  Abe Simpson is a more reliable historian than they are.

Razgovory

Yeah, even in it's prime it tended toward sensationalist, antiquated or fringe theories.  I was sitting there with my dad and he was watching one of the shows about the Plague and they had a guy go on about how "Ring around the Rosy" was inspired by the plague.  :bleeding:  Why won't that fucking myth just die?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

It's not really a myth, just a disputed theory.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

It's a theory disputed by facts, how about that?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 02, 2013, 02:41:19 PM

I don't know I mean it doesn't appear that the theory actually has facts to support it but is rather just a made-up tale.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 02, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 02, 2013, 12:44:52 PM
CNN itself is going to change in a month or so.

How so?

Overrated hacks bourdain and spurlock join the channel. Less news, more shows.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 02, 2013, 05:52:18 PM
So more like Fox News?

I bet even worse. All three news channels suck.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Alas, they are just a reflection of their audience.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 02:48:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 02, 2013, 02:41:19 PM

I don't know I mean it doesn't appear that the theory actually has facts to support it but is rather just a made-up tale.

You gotta have faith young padawan ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

CNN's been going downhill for years. It was a one-off spurred by the first Gulf War. We need more wars*, dammnit.

* that westerners care about