News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on October 21, 2012, 03:23:12 AM
I've noticed that these days the media really does love to use people's facebook photos if they've been killed or are suspected of a crime. Just today noticed a very breasty photo of some girl dead in a car crash
Guess thats a message to make sure you have a good one.

It's become a bit of contention with tabloids over here of whether or not they have the rights to do so. Mind you, German press cries foul when you copy/past parts of their articles on your blogs, but they're often happy to copy/paste private photos from various online sources without giving proper credit and/or asking for permission.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on October 20, 2012, 09:55:14 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2012, 09:43:35 PM
Let's say hypothetically, not that it happened to me or anything, but let's say you're in a crowd of people, say exiting a sporting event, and as you're walking your eyes are drawn to the backside of the woman in front of you. A young woman wearing tight yoga pants. Say you admire that rear end for a while, and then look up and as she turns her face to talk to someone, you realize she's really ugly.
Do you continue to look at her rear end?
Dirty old man!

I'm not that old!
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2012, 09:49:13 PM
Yeah.  :(
there's nothing wrong with being a dirty old man :hug:  just embrace it
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

No. I try not to stare at it anyway
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Since tomorrow is the anniversary of the 1956 revolution, a big Hungarian online magazine made a classic movie available on its video site.

It is called "Time Stands Still" (Megáll az idő), if you are interested in an artisty gritty-realistic portrayal of the feel of the 60s in Hungary, worth some googline there might be english subtitles somewhere.

Anyways, it is mostly about how the teenagers, children of 56's generation try to rebel, and how almost all of them ends up mellowing out of it, making compromises like their parents did, succumbing into the bliss of hopelessness or whatever. Only the most determined and most incapable to deal with the mind-numbing opression ends up attempting to flee.

Powerful movie, especially since it resonates with a lot of what is happening now here. How we are making the same mistakes in a perceived hopelessness (altough it was not just perceived back then).

But, what was priceless, and a testament to the timelessness of the movie, was the first comment under the movie on the site saying "why I cannot watch this from abroad?"

Josquius

Are insects animals?
A friend the other day was bitching about how they lost a question in a pub quiz because for the question which animal kills the most people the answer was that and they're moaning that insects don't count as animals.
That one is new on me. But some sort of weird definition?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2012, 06:41:22 AM
Are insects animals?
A friend the other day was bitching about how they lost a question in a pub quiz because for the question which animal kills the most people the answer was that and they're moaning that insects don't count as animals.
That one is new on me. But some sort of weird definition?

It's called the Animal Kingdom for a reason.  There's no such thing as Insect Kingdom, except in something Timmay might read.

Josquius

Thought so. Is there some sort of standard American use, non scientific definition where they're not animals though?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

No. Your friend is just a drunk idiot. Keep better company.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Insects are animals, as are fish.  Your friend deserved to miss the question.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Even sponges are animals IIRC.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?