News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Hey Seedy, you've got a Wrangler Unlimited, right?  I think I remember seeing that.  Anyway, do you have the hard top or soft top or both?  If you have the hard top, how difficult is it to take off completely? 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 03, 2012, 11:00:22 PM
Hey Seedy, you've got a Wrangler Unlimited, right?  I think I remember seeing that.  Anyway, do you have the hard top or soft top or both?  If you have the hard top, how difficult is it to take off completely?

I've got the Wrangler Unlimited, yeah.  Got the hard top.  The front row leafs are easy to remove and put back on in about 2 minutes, but the whole shebang isn't so difficult, either.  The biggest problem is dealing with the electric sockets for the rear window defroster and wiper and capping off the wiper fluid hose, but they're designed to be capped off and tucked away.  It's definitely a two-man job to lift it off and put it back on, though. 

Biggest bitch is what you're going to do with it when it's finally off.  I know I'm not hauling it up three flights of stairs to stash it on my deck.  :lol:

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on October 03, 2012, 04:36:21 AM

Very cool, tho I'm calling bullshit on "Lee" as (a predominately) Asian surname.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2012, 11:10:35 PM
Very cool, tho I'm calling bullshit on "Lee" as (a predominately) Asian surname.

:lol: Good point.  There's a shitload of Virginians that say otherwise.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:07:12 PM
I've got the Wrangler Unlimited, yeah.  Got the hard top.  The front row leafs are easy to remove and put back on in about 2 minutes, but the whole shebang isn't so difficult, either.  The biggest problem is dealing with the electric sockets for the rear window defroster and wiper and capping off the wiper fluid hose, but they're designed to be capped off and tucked away.  It's definitely a two-man job to lift it off and put it back on, though.

Okay cool.  That was one thing I was really curious about.  I've seen there is a package in there to get both, so I was looking to do that if the hard top wasn't terribly difficult to get off. 

QuoteBiggest bitch is what you're going to do with it when it's finally off.  I know I'm not hauling it up three flights of stairs to stash it on my deck.  :lol:

A distinct advantage of living in suburbia is the fact that it comes with a garage.   :P 

The reason this has come up is I'm starting to look in at trading the A4 in while it's still worth some $$ (it's at $9100 or so right now, which is pretty solid for a seven year old trade in).  I really like it, but it's so small.  I mean, it's not a Smart Car or anything, but it's still pretty useless for, you know, moving stuff.  I generally dig the wife's Liberty, but the Unlimited is just perfect as far as I can tell.  Also looking at things like FJ Cruisers and Pathfinders, although the Nissan is in a somewhat different category, I think.  They're definitely pretty nice though.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on October 03, 2012, 04:05:16 PM
Is this quite possibly the most disgusting food ever invented?  :hmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Not really.  My usual recourse to invoking mass animal butchery notwithstanding, it's not very different from eating a shrimp, is it?  Other than the being alive and swarming, I suppose, although the article suggests methods by which this can be avoided (namely, refrigeration and asphyxiation).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Here's what a quick google search gave me on that issue.

Dashed lines are from the census.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I wouldn't be surprised if Lee is more Asian than white in California.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 11:18:29 PM
Here's what a quick google search gave me on that issue.

Dashed lines are from the census.

Well, fair enough, it's predominately Asian.  But still not overwhelmingly so.

QuoteI wouldn't be surprised if Lee is more Asian than white in California.

Concur, but the Pennsylvania (I think) one is I bet whites topped off with Asians.

Just the way I like them? :unsure:
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 03, 2012, 11:16:02 PM
A distinct advantage of living in suburbia is the fact that it comes with a garage.   :P

Yeah, well, FU too.  :P  Besides, I don't trust anybody around here with having a soft top anyway.  Little Dazzling Urbanite shitbags have nothing better to do than slice up soft tops.

QuoteThe reason this has come up is I'm starting to look in at trading the A4 in while it's still worth some $$ (it's at $9100 or so right now, which is pretty solid for a seven year old trade in).  I really like it, but it's so small.  I mean, it's not a Smart Car or anything, but it's still pretty useless for, you know, moving stuff.  I generally dig the wife's Liberty, but the Unlimited is just perfect as far as I can tell.  Also looking at things like FJ Cruisers and Pathfinders, although the Nissan is in a somewhat different category, I think.  They're definitely pretty nice though.

I have no issues with it.  It's a total blast to drive, especially with a manual transmission, and the wider wheelbase makes it a little smoother than the Rat Patrol ride you get with the 2-door models.  And, unlike certain other not-made-in-America SUVs some Languishites have that I won't mention :whistle: it's got a real back seat, with real doors.  Although, being a Jeep, it's side impact ratings are only marginally better than a motorcycles.  I will not transport my nieces in it, and I fully expect to die when t-boned by a Buick at 30mph.

You won't beat anybody off the line;  it's got more torque than a lawnmower, but once you get up to 5th gear you can use the 6th as an overdrive and drop down to about 1500 RPM while still going 70mph.

Mileage sucks, but you're not concerned about mileage when you get a Jeep;  it's what you drive over with said mileage that matters.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:13:10 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2012, 11:10:35 PM

:lol: Good point.  There's a shitload of Virginians that say otherwise.

I think it refers to the Californian Lee. After all, "Anderson" is listed as Scandiweenian in Michigan (I think?) and Scottish in Florida.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:35:23 PM
Yeah, well, FU too.  :P  Besides, I don't trust anybody around here with having a soft top anyway.  Little Dazzling Urbanite shitbags have nothing better to do than slice up soft tops.

:lol: Yeah.  There's a little crew of shitbags who wander around the neighborhood here doing shitbaggy things like knocking over all the recycle bins and messing with cars parked outside.  The hard top would be for things like overnight parking and general use, with the soft top for good time getaway type stuff.

QuoteI have no issues with it.  It's a total blast to drive, especially with a manual transmission, and the wider wheelbase makes it a little smoother than the Rat Patrol ride you get with the 2-door models.  And, unlike certain other not-made-in-America SUVs some Languishites have that I won't mention :whistle: it's got a real back seat, with real doors.  Although, being a Jeep, it's side impact ratings are only marginally better than a motorcycles.  I will not transport my nieces in it, and I fully expect to die when t-boned by a Buick at 30mph.

You won't beat anybody off the line;  it's got more torque than a lawnmower, but once you get up to 5th gear you can use the 6th as an overdrive and drop down to about 1500 RPM while still going 70mph.

Unfortunately, I have to go with the auto.  I had to turn in my last 5 speed as my knee got so bad that it would balloon up after an afternoon of driving in traffic.  Good to know about everything else though.  I'll have to get in there for a test drive sooner or later.  I've just been limited to ogling the one my dad has (a Rubicon that has crazy shit like a snorkel on it lolz) and the various ones I see around town.  They seem REALLY popular.

Safety?  Fuck it.  I don't care.  ;) 

QuoteMileage sucks, but you're not concerned about mileage when you get a Jeep;  it's what you drive over with said mileage that matters.

What's stupid is the mileage is probably pretty similar to the A4.  The thing is heavy as hell with the all wheel drive and the rev happy turbocharged 4 cylinder doesn't help.  It also gets all pissy when I put 87 in it, so I can't even go cheap there.

Josquius

I want to visit the 80s. That Japan looks awesome....
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 03, 2012, 11:45:19 PM
Unfortunately, I have to go with the auto.  I had to turn in my last 5 speed as my knee got so bad that it would balloon up after an afternoon of driving in traffic.  Good to know about everything else though.  I'll have to get in there for a test drive sooner or later.  I've just been limited to ogling the one my dad has (a Rubicon that has crazy shit like a snorkel on it lolz) and the various ones I see around town.  They seem REALLY popular.

Safety?  Fuck it.  I don't care.  ;) 

First thing you do, if you're looking at the Rubicon, is get the upgraded tire package.  The stock Wrangler tires are all-weather and are excellent in snow with their narrow profile, but they're for shit in the rain.  The Wrangler will spin in rain at a red light like it's on ice with anything less than 3/4 of a full gas tank to weigh the ass down, and she will fishtail on you in the rain if you take a corner even slightly faster than you should.  Definitely look at the Rubicon upgraded tires or get them after-market where you can actually push through wet pavement.  Only real bitch I have about the Jeep.

QuoteWhat's stupid is the mileage is probably pretty similar to the A4.  The thing is heavy as hell with the all wheel drive and the rev happy turbocharged 4 cylinder doesn't help.  It also gets all pissy when I put 87 in it, so I can't even go cheap there.

That's the problem with the A4;  underpowered for such a heavy car for its size, and way too much torque in the low gears.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:52:03 PM
First thing you do, if you're looking at the Rubicon, is get the upgraded tire package.  The stock Wrangler tires are all-weather and are excellent in snow with their narrow profile, but they're for shit in the rain.  The Wrangler will spin in rain at a red light like it's on ice with anything less than 3/4 of a full gas tank to weigh the ass down, and she will fishtail on you in the rain if you take a corner even slightly faster than you should.  Definitely look at the Rubicon upgraded tires or get them after-market where you can actually push through wet pavement.  Only real bitch I have about the Jeep.

:hmm:  I was looking at a Sahara or possibly one of the limited Patriot/America/USAUSAUSA editions if I could get my hands on one.  Is that tire upgrade available for all levels?

E:  Freedom Edition.  That's what it's called.  In blue.  Looks smooth (except for the hood).  It says only 1300 of the damn things are available though so that's probably not happening.