News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Depends on whether more people become comfortable with Facebook-level info mining or if there is a backlash as they find new ways to gather more. Already they are weirding people out.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

I actually wonder at this point to what extent the personal information piece is relevant (for users).  Totally biased but personally the only parts I pay attention to on facebook are photos and communications from various friends on the feed. Rarely if ever do I actually look at people's personal details (beyond when we first become friends).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah me either. But I can't remember how many times I've seen the types of users who share all their stuff and like everything and all that react badly when they find out what that is actually doing info-wise.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

And if anything, facebook has encouraged this trend. I mean at first you only interacted with the site by going to people's pages - and thus always saw that personal info.  Even when news feed appeared at least that info was still quickly viewable when you went to someone's page. Now in the timeline format, all that personal stuff is rather obscured.  The format has almost been asking people to no longer share personal info, apart from if you like something like an artist then you are eligible to get updates from them in the feed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 03:49:03 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2012, 03:47:37 PM
I think Facebook is here to stay.

What does that even mean? Almost all companies eventually go away (or become completely unrecognizable from what they were).

Oh it will evolve. It will change. But for a while it will be THE social networking site. It shows no sign of abating. Other attempts to copy it (Google Plus) have not succeeded. FAcebook is now all over the place, the amount of people with an account is overwhelming. Not being on FB is like not having email (and fb would like to think it makes email irrelevent).

What I'm trying to say is that people keep saying "It's just a passing fad, look at myspace." But myspace never had the numbers FB does.
Let's bring this up again in say, 10 years, if message boards aren't around then, we'll just use our FB page.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Every time that World of Warcraft commercial with the Panda Bears show up on my TV, I want to punch a nerd in the balls.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

That cannot be allowed to happen.  :mad:

Wait... doesn't human meat taste like pork? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Played intramural soccer yesterday and today I found out the other team consisted of the school's anime club. They had about 20 people compared to our 8.

We beat them 11-4. Fucking animes.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

I'm surprised they could tolerate that much exposure to the sun.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 25, 2012, 08:36:17 PM
I'm surprised they could tolerate that much exposure to the sun.

It was indoor.

I was amazed they were able to find the gym.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 25, 2012, 06:19:25 PM
Every time that World of Warcraft commercial with the Panda Bears show up on my TV, I want to punch a nerd in the balls.
Someone at Blizzard really liked Kung-Fu Panda.  It's like some kind of joke.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Better to have one's screen littered with pandas than with androgynous looking elves with fabulous hair.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2012, 10:00:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 25, 2012, 06:19:25 PM
Someone at Blizzard really liked Kung-Fu Panda.  It's like some kind of joke.

I'm really, really, really trying to fight the urge to download it.

:Embarrass: :blush: