News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
Why is Ocean's Eleven/Planet of the Apes counted as sequel and not as adaptation?

Good point, but it still highlights the increasing lack of imagination in Hollywood.

But can you imagine the box office for a Golden Pond sequel, though?  Return To Golden Pond: Dead Old People.

Grey Fox

Yep, that's the world we live in where movies are 15$ & you get to spend 2h being annoyed by kids texting their friends with their iphones.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Why is Ocean's Eleven/Planet of the Apes counted as sequel and not as adaptation?

Hell - On Golden Pond won the Academy Award for best Adapted Screenplay - I think it was a play beforehand.  And I totally knew that beforehand, and didn't have to google it at all. :smarty:

I thought this perhaps carefully selected the years for comparison.  The general trend probably holds true, but 2010 looks a little bit better with three original titles and two adaptations:

1. Tory Story 3 (Sequel)
2. Alice in Wonderland (Adaptation)
3. Iron Man 2 (Sequel)
4. Twilight: Eclipse (Sequel)
5. Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 1 (Sequel)
6. Inception (original?)
7. Despicable Me (Original)
8. Shrek Forever After (Sequel)
9. Hot To Train Your Dragon (original)
10. Tangled (Adaptation)

Heck even 2012 looks better (to date):

1. Avengers (sequel)
2. Dark Knight Rises (sequel)
3. Hunger Games (adaptation)
4. Amazing Spider Man (Sequel/ReBoot)
5. Brave (original)
6. Ted (original)
7. Madagascar 3 (Sequel)
8. The Lorax (adaptation)
9. MIB 3 (Sequel)
10. Ice Age: Continental Drift (sequel)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2012, 12:34:53 PM

Good point, but it still highlights the increasing lack of imagination guts in Hollywood.

fyp

I think it's less an issue of lacking imagination than "playing it safe". Heck, you can also look at computer games and their AAA titles - how many sequels vs. new properties?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Market price of pork and temporary arrivals of the McRib.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Wow, Russell Train passed away at 92.

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 18, 2012, 05:00:14 PM

Market price of pork and temporary arrivals of the McRib.

Heh - I just saw that article today.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

:lmfao:  We need to invite every one of those guys to Languish.  We don't have enough punners here.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2012, 06:46:50 PM
:lmfao:  We need to invite every one of those guys to Languish.  We don't have enough punners here.

:D :yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Wow.
So, it seems a friend of mine is a dad.
Not just some random guy I knew from school (tonnes of those lumpens have spawned), an actual childhood friend, a guy born a few hours after me and whose mother shared a room with mine at the hospital. It seems only yesterday we were playing pokemon together....
This....scares me.

Its with some Colombian/Venezuelan/somewhere around there chick who doesn't even live in Britain (he met her when working in the US). He is to support her with 300 quid a month. Now that could go a long way in latin America....you could live off it even.... I suspect: a trap.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on September 18, 2012, 08:24:25 PM
Wow.
So, it seems a friend of mine is a dad.
Not just some random guy I knew from school (tonnes of those lumpens have spawned), an actual childhood friend, a guy born a few hours after me and whose mother shared a room with mine at the hospital. It seems only yesterday we were playing pokemon together....
This....scares me.

You get over it.

Scipio

How is it that I missed the collaboration of Cee Lo Green and Hall and Oates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8wIjtPcfs&feature=related
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

I like the Chromeo-Hall and Oates 'I Can't Go For That' better, but this one is also fantastic.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points