News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2012, 02:23:04 PM
I wasn't trying to use the source of arms to demonstrate tacit support.  There was tacit support by the Administration, a policy of wilful silence and help in the UN.  In addition the US had provided probably the overwhelming majority of the arms used in the invasion.  What's more the silence on the part of the Administration was, in part, to avoid Congress prohibiting supply of arms to Indonesia - they were, after all, an important ally.  Kissinger used the example of the arms embargo on Turkey of what he wanted to avoid, but noted that East Timor mattered a lot less than Cyprus.

Also there've been lots of accusations against the French and Americans over the Falklands.  The French provided the UK with all the help they could in beating their weapons systems though, which was very helpful.  The Americans were just prevaricating while the argument in the Administration finished, Cap Weinberger promised eventual support as soon as it happened.  State had a thing for juntas.

If you're not using arms to demonstrate tacit support, what is its relevance in a discussion about an alleged quip pro quo over East Timor?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2012, 02:34:46 PM
If you're not using arms to demonstrate tacit support, what is its relevance in a discussion about an alleged quip pro quo over East Timor?
It was one of the parts of his theory that's true.  As I say I don't buy the oil stuff. it's too late for the Arab embargo to be a worry and there were no officers.  But he's not all wrong the US did provide arms - and then there's the rest I said.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2012, 12:45:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 07, 2012, 09:45:10 AM
The Eggpocalypse was exhausting.

No kidding;  went to my nieces', and 5 through 7 year olds + chocolate + egg hunt + parents yelling = Christ, I'm fucking glad I have a cat.

And this just in:  little boys are stupid.  I mean, not stupid in your basic moron stupid way, but in a retard stupid way.
As my sister raises chickens, I got Baby Chick Display duty.

"Oooh, baby chicks!"
"That's right, they're chicks."
"What are they going to grow up to be?"
"They're going to be scorpions.  Go find you mother and tell her you're lost."

:lol:

Only real excitement I had was Drut conducting ambush drills out of the foliage and my flirting with one of the Moms that brought her girl to the eggtravaganza.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2012, 02:39:35 PM
It was one of the parts of his theory that's true.  As I say I don't buy the oil stuff. it's too late for the Arab embargo to be a worry and there were no officers.  But he's not all wrong the US did provide arms - and then there's the rest I said.

If Indonesia said "Hey US, we're going to invade East Timor and we need some weapons to do it" then it's definitely part of the theory.

If Indonesia used weapons previously purchased from the US in its invasion of East Timor it's as much a part of the theory as the fact that Indonesia invaded East Timor.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2012, 02:23:04 PM
Also there've been lots of accusations against the French and Americans over the Falklands.  The French provided the UK with all the help they could in beating their weapons systems though, which was very helpful.  The Americans were just prevaricating while the argument in the Administration finished, Cap Weinberger promised eventual support as soon as it happened.  State had a thing for juntas.

Up to that point, Argentina was our primary asset in anti-Sandinista training and support.  So thanks for fucking up that gravy train, Maggie.

And the French simply lost the paperwork on those Exocets.

Admiral Yi

Phil Mickelson makes a huge charge on the third day of the Masters to get within a shot of the leader! Go Phil go!

sbr

Fuck Phil.  I hope he suffers a heart-breaking loss tomorrow.

katmai

dang why all the Phil hate?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2012, 07:08:36 PM
dang why all the Phil hate?

I met him once, over 20 years ago when I lived in Arizona.  He was a dick the one time we met and he allegedly stole by best friends girlfriend.

Great, now I got that song stuck in my head.

Ed Anger

sbr

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Neil

Man.  Ed's daughters are going to be fucking the stupidest guys you've ever seen when they get older.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

Does anyone here have any experience with CouchSurfing.org?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk