And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2012, 05:52:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2012, 05:49:23 PM
How long would it take for the justices to pretend to consider the arguments presented before revealing the decision?

Talk smack all you want to jude, you're going down.

Dguller is going down on Jude?  Who's Jude?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2012, 07:24:24 AM
Tomorrow my sojurn westwards begins.
First to Tokyo then an overnight bus to Hiroshima- at first it was planned to be some special bus with super reclining seats but the lady-woman changed it to a later, more normal one for some reason....gah.
There shall we see the sights. I shall have to wear my Sweden football shirt when we go to the atomic museum to reiterate my non-Americaness. Miyajima has me more excited than Hiro TBH.
After Hiro its to Okayama for a day. A dull prefecture apparently which my co-workers are surprised I'm even giving a look. But its en route and there is apparently a pretty garden and a decent castle. I shall stay in Okayama alone a night as my friend returns to Tokyo for worky purposes.
Up early in Okayama then on the shinkansen. To Himeji in Hyogo I shall hurry. The castle is apparently under rennovations and not the impressive sight it is meant to be. Which fills me with sadness. But investigate I shall, it should be good for 2 or 3 hours.
Then its back to the station and on the train to Osaka. I believe I will stop there for 2 or 3 hours again. Purely to see the big impressive building, the name of which I forget, by the station. Osaka was not in my plans but I have a train exchange there anyway so...might as well stretch it out longer than necessary. Osaka proper is on the drawing board for an epic Kinki trip at a later daye.
From Osaka I will dash to Kyoto where I am to stay the night. I shall enjoy the sights and lead a brief 2 hour or so expedition to Shiga so that I may gaze upon Lake Biwa. I will only have one full day in Kyoto before my night bus back to Kofu and then into work on Friday- luckily my office should be empty then so perhaps I can nap or even just show my face then go home.
In Kyoto I think I will only really have time for the imperial palace-castley area.
I am nervous. Travelling makes me nervous. Well. Planned travelling with bookings and reservations does. I'm looking forward to travelling in summer more when I can just go as the winds take me, sleeping beneath the moon and generally having good crack- cursed Yamanashi and its lack of an eastern exit.

Are you channelling Lettow with that style ?

If so it isn't a very good pastiche/copy.

Anyway, have a fun time, sounds rather interesting and I guess it'll up your Orientalist score; catching up with Timmay and HisB, whilst establishing a buffer ahead of those that are yet to travel (IDE and Lettow).   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2012, 06:16:16 PM
Dguller is going down on Jude?  Who's Jude?

Wrote the prequel to the Book of Revelation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2012, 06:26:33 PM
[quote author=Tyr

Anyway, have a fun time, sounds rather interesting and I guess it'll up your Orientalist score; catching up with Timmay and HisB, whilst establishing a buffer ahead of those that are yet to travel (IDE and Lettow).   :cool:

heh. while writing i was thinking 'hey...this is going slightly lettowish.....' but not my intention no. no planned writing style, just tipsy splurging.

wish i could travel more but its hard
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2012, 06:55:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2012, 06:26:33 PM
[quote author=Tyr

heh. while writing i was thinking 'hey...this is going slightly lettowish.....' but not my intention no. no planned writing style, just tipsy splurging.

wish i could travel more but its hard

Weird isn't it, elements of languish infecting us.   :D

Certainly sounds a lot more interesting than what I'm doing this week. 

:cheers:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2012, 05:52:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2012, 05:49:23 PM
How long would it take for the justices to pretend to consider the arguments presented before revealing the decision?

Talk smack all you want to jude, you're going down.
Who bet what on what?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I think my bet was safer.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Can someone explain Hunger Games to me.  Mainly, how did this happen?

I like Harry Potter.  I enjoy the Twilight films (I tried the books and couldn't get past ten pages).  But I don't understand how kids/teen books got from that to the point where they're about a post-apocalyptic future in which children are forced to kill one another for a reality TV show.  It weirds me out :mellow:

I've heard the film's better than it should be too. Anyone know?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2012, 09:17:58 PM
Can someone explain Hunger Games to me.  Mainly, how did this happen?

I'll go find a tweener and her Soccer Mom to explain it to you.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2012, 09:17:58 PM
But I don't understand how kids/teen books got from that to the point where they're about a post-apocalyptic future in which children are forced to kill one another for a reality TV show.  It weirds me out :mellow:

In my day we read Encyclopedia Brown.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Lettow77

Battle Royale makes hunger games old news.

I think I am going to Japan this summer, one way or another- either as a student or a hiking traveller on a VISION QUEST TO THE EAST.  I look forward to it.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

i now greatly regret not taking my chance to be a student at tokyo u. money wouldnt have been a problem afterall in tokyo. gah.
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

Hey tyr, how long will you be in Japan, again? Maybe we could meet :)

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

mongers

British Summer Time starts.   :cool:

katmai

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2012, 08:02:02 PM
British Summer Time starts.   :cool:

About time you yokels caught up to us.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son