And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2011, 10:50:05 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 27, 2011, 10:45:58 AM
Yes, but they don't ever see the bill.  It comes with the citizenship.

Neither does our hypothetical carousel candidate.

Not having spent months in foreign ICUs, I don't really know what the common practice is in the rest of the world.  But I have a hunch that it involves fewer heroic measures.

I don't understand what you think is at play here.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 02:47:14 PM

Differing attitudes in the medical profession about the desirability of staving off inevitable death.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2011, 02:50:11 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 02:47:14 PM

Differing attitudes in the medical profession about the desirability of staving off inevitable death.

Maybe. I don't know, I don't think anybody does. What makes you think that mindset is not replicated in other countries?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 02:53:06 PM
Maybe. I don't know, I don't think anybody does. What makes you think that mindset is not replicated in other countries?

A hunch.

Zoupa

Tonitrus

Fun excerpts from the Monterey County police blotter....

QuoteSuspect Arrested Y/N: Yes

Arrestee: Dracula, John Vlad

Synopsis: A suspicious male had been reported in Toro Park. The male was contacted and claimed his name was John Vlad Dracula. His true name was latter discovered after he was finger printed and found to have an outstanding warrant for his arrest,

QuoteArrestee: Gabriel Quiroz

Synopsis: Suspect was uncooperative and directly interfered with an ongoing investigation. While suspect was being detained he vandalized a patrol vehicle window with his head.

QuoteArrestee: None

Synopsis: Family members reported a teenage family member might be having underage sex. All allegations were denied.

Ideologue

QuoteAll allegations were denied.

Good.  I'd imagine there's rarely any real evidence in most stat rape cases sufficient to secure a conviction, without a confession.  Don't be a Norfolk Four.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 07:46:31 PM
QuoteAll allegations were denied.

Good.  I'd imagine there's rarely any real evidence in most stat rape cases sufficient to secure a conviction, without a confession.  Don't be a Norfolk Four.

I presumed that to be a case of inter-teenage sex.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 12:13:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2011, 07:24:01 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 27, 2011, 04:32:13 AM
How do you tell they are in the last six months of their life?

That's the job of the death panel.

^_^

I don't get it, did Zoupa want to fuck Terri Shiavo or something?

I mean, I'm not saying I blame you.
Kinemalogue

Caliga

Terri Schiavo was at that point in her life anorexic.  She was fat most of her life and IIRC was starving herself to get thin because she wanted to have a baby, and her doctor told her she had to lose weight in order to get pregnant.  When she had her stroke I believe her 'diet' consisted solely of sweet tea.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on December 27, 2011, 09:20:57 PM
Terri Schiavo was at that point in her life anorexic.  She was fat most of her life and IIRC was starving herself to get thin because she wanted to have a baby, and her doctor told her she had to lose weight in order to get pregnant.  When she had her stroke I believe her 'diet' consisted solely of sweet tea.

You can't argue with results.
Kinemalogue

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 09:22:52 PM
You can't argue with results.
Well she did indeed lose the weight... she even managed to lose 100% of her brain matter weight too. :sleep:

Schiavo grew up in the town next to mine and went to the damn dirty Catholic school in my town, so there was even more news coverage of the case up there than was the case nationally when the religious right was whining over it.

Ideologue

In all seriousness, I can't imagine she was very smart to begin with.  It's one thing to crash diet, or even to engage in purging, but another altogether to be completely ignorant of what the body requires to function at a basic level.  Keeping your potassium levels normal so that your heart and lungs don't stop working is not rocket science.
Kinemalogue

Caliga

No, of course she wasn't... didn't you see how I said she went to a Catholic school? :contract: