News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I was thinking of getting a few old machines and putting them in my basement. But I ain't buying over the internet and Gorf is impossible to find locally.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Been a coon's age since Mongers posted.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 07:58:50 PM
Been a coon's age since Mongers posted.

He wanted to be the first man to bicycle across the English Channel. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Today the reason for Japan's economic problems of the past 20 years has became oh so clear to me; I'm being taxed about 2.3%.....

QuoteApparently the Scottish Tories elected a lesbian Glaswegian their leader.  No-one noticed :mellow:
Wow, that is mad, its like the Nazis electing a gay Jewish Pole their leader.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2011, 10:00:06 PM
Today the reason for Japan's economic problems of the past 20 years has became oh so clear to me; I'm being taxed about 2.3%.....

Please elaborate.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2011, 07:34:25 PM
I was thinking of getting a few old machines and putting them in my basement. But I ain't buying over the internet and Gorf is impossible to find locally.

I always wanted to do that.  Fuck if I know where you could find them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2011, 10:20:15 PM
I always wanted to do that.  Fuck if I know where you could find them.

Ebay.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 10:16:20 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2011, 10:00:06 PM

Please elaborate.
I get taxed 7000 yen a month on 300,000 yen earnings. This is hilariously low and is apparently utterly normal and not a grievous error. In a more sensible country the tax would be more towards 70,000 than 7,000. Its a wonder they get anything done at all in this country- well, it would be if you didn't consider the size of their national debt.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2011, 10:28:14 PM
I get taxed 7000 yen a month on 300,000 yen earnings. This is hilariously low and is apparently utterly normal and not a grievous error. In a more sensible country the tax would be more towards 70,000 than 7,000. Its a wonder they get anything done at all in this country- well, it would be if you didn't consider the size of their national debt.

That's all great stuff Squeeze, but I'm still a little foggy on the conection between low taxes and Japan's 20 years of low growth.

Ideologue

Well-funded government spending is the cornerstone of growth. :bowler:
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 10:30:52 PM

That's all great stuff Squeeze, but I'm still a little foggy on the conection between low taxes and Japan's 20 years of low growth.

Is there a connection between growth and debt?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 10:30:52 PM

No money=ineffective government that can't do much (or mires itself in debt when they try to do something).
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2011, 11:19:44 PM
No money=ineffective government that can't do much

What a shame that would be.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

██████
██████
██████