News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2011, 10:26:59 AM
But I disagree with your equation of centrism = thinking.

I never equated centrism with thinking.  I said that what Ide was calling centrism I call thinking.

Admiral Yi

Although, that being said, I would expect self-proclaimed centrists to have fewer dogmas they are unwilling or unable to evaluate critically.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2011, 10:23:59 AM
I think about 4 or 5 of them are very debateable.  Although I don't see what perfect information, etc., etc., has anything to do with it.
Perfect information has to do with the assumption that any voluntary deal is mutually beneficial.  I assume the correct answer was "yes" to that question.  However, people make voluntary deals with scam artists all the time, for example.
QuoteWhat's less debateable is your, Ide's and Shelf's "ugh, centrism" response.
I think the confusion lay in your response to Ide's "ugh, centrism".  It made it sound like you equate centrism with being a thinking person, which of course is the kind of thinking that should get every truly thinking person riled up.  In your later posts, it sounds like it may not have been what you meant.

sbr

This wasn't a quiz that was graded, it was an opinion poll.  Why do people think that any of the questions have a right or wrong answer?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 13, 2011, 12:30:05 PM
Perfect information has to do with the assumption that any voluntary deal is mutually beneficial.  I assume the correct answer was "yes" to that question.  However, people make voluntary deals with scam artists all the time, for example.

The correct answer to that question is disagree.
QuoteI think the confusion lay in your response to Ide's "ugh, centrism".  It made it sound like you equate centrism with being a thinking person, which of course is the kind of thinking that should get every truly thinking person riled up.  In your later posts, it sounds like it may not have been what you meant.

That doesn't get Ide off the hook, and it doesn't really get Shelf off the hook either, since he elaborated by saying that what the author of the article did was an example of being in the middle for the middle's sake, or however you put it.

You, maybe.  After I post I'll reread your old post.

Admiral Yi

OK, you're off the hook Guller.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on November 13, 2011, 12:31:48 PM
This wasn't a quiz that was graded, it was an opinion poll.  Why do people think that any of the questions have a right or wrong answer?

To take the simplest one, a monopoly is definitional.  If someone has the opinion that a monopoly is having the largest market share among several competitors, that's an inocorrect opinion.

DGuller

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2011, 12:46:19 PM
Quote from: sbr on November 13, 2011, 12:31:48 PM

To take the simplest one, a monopoly is definitional.  If someone has the opinion that a monopoly is having the largest market share among several competitors, that's an inocorrect opinion.
Even the definition of the word monopoly is debatable, IMO, although the actual question is structured in a way that it cannot possible be agreed with. 

The most basic feature of having a monopoly power is that you have pricing power.  That is, you're free to set a price on your product to some extent, rather than just go with the market price or go bust.  In practice, that makes monopoly a very sliding scale, because almost every brand maker has some pricing power.  The whole point of developing a brand name is so that your products would be unique and not easily substitutable, and thus you would have 100% market share over that product.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2011, 10:26:59 AM
Yi: I've probably jumped the gun a bit on that article, as I say I've not read it.  Sorry.  But I disagree with your equation of centrism = thinking.

I'm over halfway through my wordcount on this essay.  It's on the three certainties.  I've not even finished one yet :weep:

Still I think cutting an essay down is always easier than expanding a bare one.

Post a new thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Man, I am just not breaking the ~180,000 barrier in Pacman.  Once the power pellets become completely inert it's a whole different, much harder game.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2011, 01:52:02 AM
Man, I am just not breaking the ~180,000 barrier in Pacman.  Once the power pellets become completely inert it's a whole different, much harder game.

Hanging out at the landromat playing the ratty old machine they have in the corner that is covered in 30 years of phlegm, cum and spilled soda?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Grey Fox

There is always next year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2011, 08:38:47 AM
There is always next year.

Next quarter.  :)

I demand oatmeal cream pies and ho-ho's.