News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Habsburg on September 07, 2011, 12:00:21 AMare mixing paper with Cotton.  Nearly ripped items I was testing.

cersei, is that you? :P

Habsburg

Quote from: LaCroix on September 07, 2011, 12:12:33 AM
Quote from: Habsburg on September 07, 2011, 12:00:21 AMare mixing paper with Cotton.  Nearly ripped items I was testing.

cersei, is that you? :P

Shockingly Dockers by Levi had the most substantial cotton feel.
The World is going to shit.

Josquius

WW2 was good for business.
██████
██████
██████

Habsburg

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2011, 12:21:54 AM
WW2 was good for business.

Tyr, this debacle is nothing to triffled with!

LaCroix

Quote from: Habsburg on September 07, 2011, 12:15:36 AMShockingly Dockers by Levi had the most substantial cotton feel.
The World is going to shit.

oh, no, i meant the AFFC-cersei, not just the in-general-cersei ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habsburg on September 07, 2011, 12:00:21 AM
Went on a mini wardrobe expansion at Macy's tonight.  I swear Izod, Calvin Klein, Nautica, etc. are mixing paper with Cotton.  Nearly ripped items I was testing.

That's disappointing.

Never expected you of all people to shop at Macy's.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 11:24:57 PM
:hmm:

Yeah, I'm not entirely buying the equivalency.  $20,000 isn't enough to own a home, eat decently, and raise a family, but a lot of Americans seemed to manage to do that in the 1940s and 50s.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Reading about predestination paradoxes, the example of Oedipus was mentioned, and I got to thinking.

Why doesn't Oedipus just marry someone who is verifiably younger than him?  Or, at least, someone who is not clearly fifteen to twenty-five years older?  Or, if he feels he must in order to get that sweet Theban power base, why must he also have sex with her, when she's aware of the same prophecy?  On a related note, shouldn't he have avoided killing people, or at least been on notice that anyone he may kill is likely to be his father, and thus investigate the identity of anyone he slays--so as to avoid marrying their widow?

And even if all this fails, shouldn't he still be happy he fucked up their lives most horribly?  His parents stabbed him through the feet and left him to die.  Now his dad's dead, his mom's dead, and he's the king.  This seems a clear-cut "win."

You'd think a guy smart enough to defeat the Sphinx in a contest of riddles would be able to see the bright side.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2011, 01:48:55 PM
Reading about predestination paradoxes, the example of Oedipus was mentioned.  Why doesn't Oedipus just marry someone who is verifiably younger than him?  Or, at least, someone who is not clearly fifteen to twenty-five years older?  Or, if he feels he must in order to get that sweet Theban power base, why must he also have sex with her, when she's aware of the same prophecy?  On a related note, shouldn't he have avoided killing people, or at least been on notice that anyone he may kill is likely to be his father, and thus investigate the identity of anyone he slays--so as to avoid marrying their widow?

And even if all this fails, shouldn't he still be happy he fucked up their lives most horribly?  His parents stabbed him through the feet and left him to die.  Now his dad's dead, his mom's dead, and he's the king.  You can put this in the "win" column, Oedipus.

You'd think a guy smart enough to defeat the Sphinx in a contest of riddles would be able to see the bright side.

Oedipus thought he knew who his parents were, and so didn't think he needed to take any extraordinary precautions - he just had to avoid killing the guy he knew as "dad" and fucking the woman he knew as "mom". Joke was on him though - he was adopted.  :D

A guy who envies the sex lives of bonobos is probably not best able to understand why violating the incest taboo could cause someone unhappiness.  :P Though I'd agree that dad and mom hardly deserve much filial piety in this tale.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

That's what I mean, though.  Clearly, he's a smart guy, albeit one who takes prophecies seriously.  If he's taking it seriously enough to suspect that he might somehow be driven to cause the deaths of his beloved, Corinthian parents, he might also consider the possibility that he is a foundling, and his true parents are out there somewhere, waiting to die and be fucked, respectively.

I think it's one of those things where the intended audience would be forgiving, because the audience is not likely to think of this in the hours it might take to see a play (and, iirc, it's not actually in the play, but only background to it).  But Oedipus has had years to ponder the subject.  And seeing Laius' brains mix with the dirt at the crossroads should have been a big wake-up call for our doomed hero.  Especially when he's later portrayed as very, very bright.
Kinemalogue

Habsburg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2011, 05:18:49 AM
Quote from: Habsburg on September 07, 2011, 12:00:21 AM
Went on a mini wardrobe expansion at Macy's tonight.  I swear Izod, Calvin Klein, Nautica, etc. are mixing paper with Cotton.  Nearly ripped items I was testing.

That's disappointing.

Never expected you of all people to shop at Macy's.

We all have to economize if we are to keep six months in expences in liquid cash.

Macy's is okay for business casual?

The Minsky Moment

And even if all this fails, shouldn't he still be happy he fucked up their lives most horribly?  His parents stabbed him through the feet and left him to die.  Now his dad's dead, his mom's dead, and he's the king.  This seems a clear-cut "win."

I think you may have missed the point.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I think Bob Newhart is a very under appreciated comic.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZyS_CdzDQ  His style is very original.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 07, 2011, 04:57:35 PM

I think you may have missed the point.   ;)

Hubris?  It's hubris, isn't it?  No one ever just gets to enjoy life in Greek myth.  Except for crypto-rapists like Menelaus, I suppose.
Kinemalogue