News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2011, 11:32:02 AM
Oh, well they're Danish amateurs who are building a manned space rocket they plan to send 150 km up on a a budget of only a few tens of thousands of dollars.

That was a test launch.
Boring.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2011, 11:36:50 AM
Oh, well they're Danish amateurs who are building a manned space rocket they plan to send 150 km up on a a budget of only a few tens of thousands of dollars.

That was a test launch.
Boring.
They also built their own submarine.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2011, 11:37:35 AM

That was a test launch.
Boring.
Morally wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2011, 11:35:29 AM

That was a test launch.
Are they planning to send it back down?

Once they go up, who cares where they come down?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2011, 11:39:26 AM

That was a test launch.
Boring.
Morally wrong.

Do you think the crossbow should be banned, too?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2011, 11:42:20 AM

That was a test launch.

Actually the parachute failed, so thankfully it was an unmanned test.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

That was a test launch.

"That's not my department" says Wernher von Braun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2011, 11:43:00 AM

That was a test launch.
Boring.
Morally wrong.

It already is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2011, 11:52:46 AM

That was a test launch.
Boring.
Morally wrong.

It already is.

When I was 12, my dad and I built a crossbow using a 1950s home mechanics diagram and an old car spring.

I wonder just what the legal situation would be like these days ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

That was a test launch.
Boring.
Morally wrong.

It already is.
You can hunt with a rifle or shotgun, but not a crossbow? What's the reasoning behind that law?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2011, 11:55:38 AM

That was a test launch.
Boring.
Morally wrong.

It already is.

When I was 12, my dad and I built a crossbow using a 1950s home mechanics diagram and an old car spring.

I wonder just what the legal situation would be like these days ...  ;)

Any crossbow which is designed or altered to be fired by the action of one hand, or has a length not exceeding 500mm, is a prohibited weapon and thus illegal.

The purpose, to answer Superman's Pal's question, is similar to how handguns are highly restricted - any large device that requires two hands to use, like a rifleor bow is felt to be less threatening (and have more legitimate purposes) than one designed to use only one hand.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2011, 12:04:31 PM
Any crossbow which is designed or altered to be fired by the action of one hand, or has a length not exceeding 500mm, is a prohibited weapon and thus illegal.

The purpose, to answer Superman's Pal's question, is similar to how handguns are highly restricted - any large device that requires two hands to use, like a rifleor bow is felt to be less threatening (and have more legitimate purposes) than one designed to use only one hand.

We'd be in the clear - you sure as shit couldn't use that thing we built with one hand. Even with two, it was problematic.  ;)

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2011, 11:50:01 AM

That was a test launch.

"That's not my department" says Wernher von Braun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

;)

:)

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2011, 12:04:31 PM

:huh:  So 'the crossbow' is not illegal, but only certain ones.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2011, 12:35:29 PM
:huh:  So 'the crossbow' is not illegal, but only certain ones.

Heh I think the purpose is to regulate what sorts of crossbows get sold rather than a chance to arrest amateur crossbow builders.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."