News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

What wildlife rescue group will come and save some birds on your porch?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2011, 03:59:03 PM
My boss said today that he likes watching people puke. :huh:

How does that even come up in conversation?  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2011, 04:20:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2011, 03:59:03 PM
My boss said today that he likes watching people puke. :huh:

How does that even come up in conversation?  :lol:

Someone was talking about eating contests and then he said he'd like to watch a hard boiled egg eating contest or milk drinking contest. When asked why, well you know his answer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2011, 04:13:49 PM
What wildlife rescue group will come and save some birds on your porch?

This one: http://www.wildlife-rescue.org/

Razgovory

Didn't know that.  I always called the Department of Conservation till I found out they were simply euthanizing the animals.  Fuck, I can do that myself.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

FUCK, I just found a goddamn tick crawling around on my chest.  I was able to catch and kill it and I don't think it had actually bitten me yet.  It's a lone star tick, which carries a bunch of diseases including tularemia. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jamesww

Quote from: Caliga on May 14, 2011, 05:48:09 PM
FUCK, I just found a goddamn tick crawling around on my chest.  I was able to catch and kill it and I don't think it had actually bitten me yet.  It's a lone star tick, which carries a bunch of diseases including tularemia. :ph34r:

:(

Over here ticks are very benign, though I live in one of the few areas, the New Forest where some ticks can give you Lyme disease.   :(

Razgovory

I have grown tired of being covered in ants. :mad:

Syt

Rather amusing subway ride home last night, ca. 1am. The Danish Rugby team was there, totally drunk, singing dirty English drinking songs, like "Down the Dark Alley", entertaining the whole crowd.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Read two interesting and semi-related articles today in the FT.

Coach, the maker of over-priced purses, has decided to reduce the share of its manufacturing located in China, because labor costs there have risen so much.  It's looking to move to Vietnam, the Phillipines (?), and India (?).

Whereas in India salaries have been increasing close to 20% the last few years.  According to one consulting firm a call center in India (which they staff with college grads) is only 10% cheaper to operate than one in the US. 

I think the apparent contradiction between the two is "salaries" are rising but not blue collar "wages."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2011, 05:44:59 PM
Read two interesting and semi-related articles today in the FT.

Coach, the maker of over-priced purses, has decided to reduce the share of its manufacturing located in China, because labor costs there have risen so much.  It's looking to move to Vietnam, the Phillipines (?), and India (?).

Whereas in India salaries have been increasing close to 20% the last few years.  According to one consulting firm a call center in India (which they staff with college grads) is only 10% cheaper to operate than one in the US. 

I think the apparent contradiction between the two is "salaries" are rising but not blue collar "wages."

There was a bidness talking head the other day saying that manufacturing is starting to trickle back to the states because costs have risen so much overseas and it is getting to the point where it just ain't worth it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Holy crap! My work computer was left on for nine days! It doesn't have a screensaver either, I'm amazed the monitor didn't burn out! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2011, 05:47:46 PM
There was a bidness talking head the other day saying that manufacturing is starting to trickle back to the states because costs have risen so much overseas and it is getting to the point where it just ain't worth it.

Time to get back in the saddle Boner!