Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on April 25, 2011, 11:03:18 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2011, 11:02:19 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 25, 2011, 10:59:36 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2011, 10:54:41 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 25, 2011, 10:52:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2011, 10:50:09 PM
It would have better for the Japanese if they had discovered the Manchurian oil fields and tapped them in the early '30s.

So, Episode 5?
That was two pages ago.

Still, I remain confused why anyone would edit that into an old photo like that.

:huh:

Empire Strikes Back featured "Episode V" from release on. Only Star Wars had retroactively added "Episode IV - A New Hope" into the rolling credits.

Kindly turn in your nerd card when you leave this thread. Thank you.
Really? Oh, well, not like I was old enough to see it in theater and remember that.

Please just die.
You're taking this a bit too seriously.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

It would have better for the Japanese if they had discovered the Manchurian oil fields and tapped them in the early '30s.

So, Episode 5?
That was two pages ago.

Still, I remain confused why anyone would edit that into an old photo like that.

Empire Strikes Back featured "Episode V" from release on. Only Star Wars had retroactively added "Episode IV - A New Hope" into the rolling credits.

Really? Oh, well, not like I was old enough to see it in theater and remember that.

Well, we did and we do.  So go fucking die in a combo-suicide with Lettow running the car in the garage, you fuck.

DGuller

Please just die.
Really, "just die"?  You don't want him to suffer, not even a little bit?

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2011, 11:27:18 PM

So, Episode 5?
That was two pages ago.

Please just die.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on April 25, 2011, 11:41:05 PM
Please just die.
Really, "just die"?  You don't want him to suffer, not even a little bit?

I am nothing if not humane.  :pope:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Neither was I, but I considered this common knowledge, at least in nerd circles.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2011, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 25, 2011, 06:38:53 PM
Depose the Mongolian puppet government with a Mongolian puppet gov't backed by Japan that seeks to bring all mongols under its borders and has a nationalist sentiment more palpable to Mongols than the red dictatorship they languish under;
menace the trans-siberian railroad, occupy the entirity of the primorsk region

The infrastructure to defend is pretty miserable too. If the soviets decide not to defend the frozen wastes, why, they are Japan's for the taking!

And needless to say the inevitable Axis victory in barbarossa will result in further Japanese territorial gains, probably extending at least to Irkutsk.
Again - how do they do any of that?  How to they depose Mongolia?  How do they threaten the TSR?  And for what strategic purpose to Japan?

I once thought as you did (and as a kid I thought that was the optimal A&A strategy).  But A&A is a very poor simulator for the actual war.

Yeah, I have no idea how that got through even basic playtesting, even 40 (or whatever) years ago.  I mean, the USSR gets knocked out every time against remotely competent Axis players, unless something ridiculously lucky happens (like terrible dierolls in the battles for Leningrad <_< ).

Also, the game economy rewards boring play: infantry with a column of red chips underneath.

Oh, and the "Siberian reserves" had far less than the decisive effect traditionally attributed them.  Iirc, they didn't even start removing them in large measure till December, which was some weeks after the tide had broken.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

Without American involvement, and with Japan nipping at Siberia, the USSR would have been much more eager to come to terms- if indeed it could prevent its own collapse.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

Seriously? Tim did not know Episode V was Episode V from the very beginning? But he knows all there is to know about shitty anime, I bet.

What a disgrace.

Ideologue

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 26, 2011, 01:56:10 AM
Without American involvement, and with Japan nipping at Siberia, the USSR would have been much more eager to come to terms- if indeed it could prevent its own collapse.

You realize, of course, that just asserting it ad nauseum does not make it so.

The Germans overextended themselves and got beaten outside Moscow by winter and by the RKKA, the Russian Far East was meaningless to the survival of the USSR as a political and military unit, and the IJA had one of the worst armies of the major belligerents anyway, barely capable of badly occupying a part of China.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

Are you sure your CCCP sympathies aren't clouding your judgement?

The USSR lived and died on a lend-lease they may never have received if the Japanese did not attack America. Irrespective of the forces tied down by an IJA attack, that alone seems pretty fatal.

The IJA's army was amazing. Gyokusai! Noblesse Oblige.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

I think the Soviet Union did attempt to come to terms up until 1943.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Why can't tornadoes ever come through the area at, say 2 pm?  WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO WAKE ME THE FUCK UP? :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2011, 05:13:59 AM
Why can't tornadoes ever come through the area at, say 2 pm?  WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO WAKE ME THE FUCK UP? :mad:

They like to hide in the dark.  We had the sirens go off around 7 PM a few days ago.  The tornadoes that destroyed Lambert.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017