And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 09, 2010, 03:48:45 PM
True story:

The Chinese guy who runs the cafeteria at my company's SF location changed the menu to fried chicken and watermelon on MLK day.

No waffles?   :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2010, 04:29:07 PM
That happened in my dining hall when I was in college. They didn't understand why it was offensive.

Neither do I. Fried chicken is yummy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Why is fried chicken offensive?
I know its a stereotype that black folk eat that for some reason and all stereotypes are bad but....how on earth did that stereotype come to be?
The watermellon one is new to me kinda. Though there is the whole 'water mellon grin' thing.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

So I get gas at a full service station today.

It came to $38 and I give the guy $40.

The guy insisted he owed me $12. I fought with him for like a minute, but in the end, I took it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

True story:

The Chinese guy who runs the cafeteria at my company's SF location changed the menu to fried chicken and watermelon on MLK day.

I can see that happening; offensive stereotypes do not translate well across cultures. The Chinese dude probably just thought he was honouring MLK by offering "typical Black food" in the same way as one could imagine a Black guy honouring a Chinese hero by serving "Chinese food". 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2010, 05:48:28 PM
I can see that happening; offensive stereotypes do not translate well across cultures.

Australian KFC ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojqMGlqYHPg

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

True story:

I can see that happening; offensive stereotypes do not translate well across cultures. The Chinese dude probably just thought he was honouring MLK by offering "typical Black food" in the same way as one could imagine a Black guy honouring a Chinese hero by serving "Chinese food".
I can see that, but the Tar baby dolls is something obvious in my opinion.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 09, 2010, 06:23:51 PM
True story:

I can see that, but the Tar baby dolls is something obvious in my opinion.

What exactly are "Tar baby dolls"?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

I wish Disney would release Song of the South on DVD in the States.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

There used to be lots of fried chicken jokes in The Fresh Prince. Is Will Smith racist too? :sleep:

Zanza

This is the decision of the German constitutional court on something related to social security for children. Legalese sucks.

Quote§ 20, paragraph 2 1. Sentence and paragraph 3, sentence 1, § 28, paragraph 1, sentence 3 No. 1 1. Alternative, each in conjunction with § 20 paragraph 1, Book II Social Code as amended by the Fourth Act for Modern Services on the labor of 24 December 2003 (Federal Law Gazette I page 2954), § 20, paragraph 2, sentence 1 and paragraph 3, Book II Social Code as amended by the Act to Amend the Second Social Code and other laws of 24 March 2006 (Federal Law Gazette I, page 558), § 28, paragraph 1, sentence 3 No. 1 1 Alternative, in conjunction with § 74 Social Code Book II as amended by the Act to secure employment and stability in Germany, 2 March 2009 (Federal Law Gazette I, page 416), each in conjunction with § 20 paragraph 1, Book II Social Code as amended by the Act concerning the development of basic security for jobseekers, 20 July 2006 (Federal Law Gazette I page 1706), as well as notices on the amount of control power according to § 20 paragraph 2 and § 20 paragraph 2 sentence 1 Social Code Book II, 1 September 2005 (Federal Law Gazette I page 2718), 20 July 2006 (Federal Law Gazette I page 1702), 18 June 2007 (Federal Law Gazette I page 1139), 26 June 2008 (Federal Law Gazette I page 1102) and of 17 June 2009 (Federal Law Gazette I page 1342) are incompatible with Article 1, paragraph 1, the Basic Law in conjunction with the welfare state principle of Article 20, paragraph 1, the Basic Law.

Here is what the case was about if you care: http://www.bundesverfassungsgericht.de/pressemitteilungen/bvg10-005en.html

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

An economist on NPR said Greek default is "probable."

Also, the Greek PM apparently pointed the finger of blame at hedge funds at Davos.