News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: sbr on January 14, 2010, 12:59:19 PMDoes water count, that seems too easy.
Yes it counts. But you'll find that virtually all German bars will only serve you rather expensive kinds of bottled water. Usually at a similar price as a coke.

Admiral Yi

Just saw on CNN that Obama has proposed a financial industry tax "to pay back the bailout money."  Given the fact that they've already paid back the bailout money that doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Quote from: Zanza on January 14, 2010, 02:34:45 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 14, 2010, 12:59:19 PMDoes water count, that seems too easy.
Yes it counts. But you'll find that virtually all German bars will only serve you rather expensive kinds of bottled water. Usually at a similar price as a coke.

You can't just get water from the sink?

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: sbr on January 14, 2010, 08:16:17 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 14, 2010, 02:34:45 PM

You can't just get water from the sink?

It will still cost you the same as a coke, remember it has to served, unless you are talking about using the sink in the toilet...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

garbon

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on January 15, 2010, 12:15:27 AM
It will still cost you the same as a coke, remember it has to served, unless you are talking about using the sink in the toilet...

In civilized places you can ask a bartender for tap water and it's free. Why I even managed such while I was in Spain. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2010, 12:54:09 AM

In civilized places you can ask a bartender for tap water and it's free. Why I even managed such while I was in Spain. :o

Restaurants will do that (I often have water for lunch). Though some are crafty and charge a few cents as service charge (having to bring the water, cleaning the glass, etc.). Ordering tap water in bars or clubs - never heard of anyone trying that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2010, 01:07:16 AM
Restaurants will do that (I often have water for lunch). Though some are crafty and charge a few cents as service charge (having to bring the water, cleaning the glass, etc.). Ordering tap water in bars or clubs - never heard of anyone trying that.
What would happen if a customer said he had drunk too much booze and needed some water to rehydrate?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2010, 01:09:34 AM
What would happen if a customer said he had drunk too much booze and needed some water to rehydrate?

As said - I don't know since I never tried. I guess in this case it wouldn't be a big issue, though. If you entered a bar and were only drinking tap water and nothing else I'd imagine they wouldn't like it, because their business is selling drinks. Restaurants are different, because they also sell food, so ordering food and a glass of water is ok. Again, if you only ordered a glass of water I suppose you'd get it, but after the second or third they might get grumpy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2010, 01:19:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2010, 01:09:34 AM

As said - I don't know since I never tried. I guess in this case it wouldn't be a big issue, though. If you entered a bar and were only drinking tap water and nothing else I'd imagine they wouldn't like it, because their business is selling drinks. Restaurants are different, because they also sell food, so ordering food and a glass of water is ok. Again, if you only ordered a glass of water I suppose you'd get it, but after the second or third they might get grumpy.
I was surprised when some of the places here in Korea charged me for water. Bars back home give water out for free.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

You shouldn't be ordering water in bars unless you need it to cut your whiskey

Tonitrus

Meh, when I would go to bars with friends, as I don't drink(and also serve as DD), I'd usually order water.  As long as you tip the bartender, it's all good.

syk

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2010, 12:54:09 AM

You are a bold man drinking tap water in Spain.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 15, 2010, 01:52:03 AM
You shouldn't be ordering water in bars unless you need it to cut your whiskey
I like to chug a glass of water before I leave so I don't get a hangover.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 15, 2010, 01:57:35 AM
Meh, when I would go to bars with friends, as I don't drink(and also serve as DD), I'd usually order water.  As long as you tip the bartender, it's all good.

I have spent a lot of time on both sides of the bar and everywhere I have been has done this for.  If you are with people who are buying drinks, and you are the driver you will/should get all of the non-alcoholic drinks you can get.