News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

So there's a Portuguese cafe near me that I used to go to quite a lot. It's nice enough place - the lady owns one in my neighbourhood and then one a little bit away in the Little Portugal bit of Stockwell. I haven't been in ages for one reason or another, but walked past it over the weekend.

They have some absolutely massive Chega posters in the window/on the walls. So I might give them a miss now :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2022, 06:22:00 AMSo there's a Portuguese cafe near me that I used to go to quite a lot. It's nice enough place - the lady owns one in my neighbourhood and then one a little bit away in the Little Portugal bit of Stockwell. I haven't been in ages for one reason or another, but walked past it over the weekend.

They have some absolutely massive Chega posters in the window/on the walls. So I might give them a miss now :ph34r:

Is it a Nata Lisboa café? We have one near where I work. We occasionally get pateis de nata for the office there. :mmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

I was recently in Portugal for a work trip (delated since March 2020) and I swear I had a Nata every single day.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Not going to lie, every time I went there it would be for a coffee and a nata :lol:

But it's not a big chain, it's a local Portuguese lady with two cafes. It might even just be called Little Portugal now I think about it :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 06:47:49 AMI was recently in Portugal for a work trip (delated since March 2020) and I swear I had a Nata every single day.  :lol:

So did we when we were in Lisbon. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2022, 06:48:28 AMNot going to lie, every time I went there it would be for a coffee and a nata :lol:

But it's not a big chain, it's a local Portuguese lady with two cafes. It might even just be called Little Portugal now I think about it :hmm:

Do they do any other specialities? Francesinhas? Bifanas?

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2022, 06:50:55 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 06:47:49 AMI was recently in Portugal for a work trip (delated since March 2020) and I swear I had a Nata every single day.  :lol:

So did we when we were in Lisbon. :D

It is truly a risk to the waistline.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 07:01:39 AMDo they do any other specialities? Francesinhas? Bifanas?
No - and I should maybe emphasise cafe less though that's how I use them. It's mostly a standard sort of expat shop - lots of Portuguese products which takes up most of the space.

At the front they have a little deli counter with smallish stuff - natas, bacalhau etc, serve wine and beer, coffee etc. But it is a place for a quick drink/snack. Maybe three or four little tables and the bar.

They're not in my area but just down the road in the Little Portugal area of Stockwell there are more food-y Portuguese cafes that are just cafes. They do the francesinhas etc. And I might start going to them more :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 07:06:07 AMIt is truly a risk to the waistline.  :lol:
Yeah I need to lose some weight, which is possibly why I'd not been to the cafe for a while. It seems like the sweet custard tarts are probably not great on that front :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2022, 07:29:19 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 04, 2022, 07:01:39 AMDo they do any other specialities? Francesinhas? Bifanas?
No - and I should maybe emphasise cafe less though that's how I use them. It's mostly a standard sort of expat shop - lots of Portuguese products which takes up most of the space.

At the front they have a little deli counter with smallish stuff - natas, bacalhau etc, serve wine and beer, coffee etc. But it is a place for a quick drink/snack. Maybe three or four little tables and the bar.

They're not in my area but just down the road in the Little Portugal area of Stockwell there are more food-y Portuguese cafes that are just cafes. They do the francesinhas etc. And I might start going to them more :ph34r:

If you're a fan of canned fishes, Portuguese ones are truly great and the industry has produced lots of varieties beyond the usual "fill a can with tuna/sardines and olive oil and get done with it". Besides, Portuguese cans are sometimes really pretty to look at.

Sheilbh

Oh I am and I know :ph34r:

Canned fish is having a bit of a moment in London/UK at the minute (including new British producers - whcih I'm really happy about because it enrages me how little we eat fish given we're an island :ultra:). I'm very much behind it.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2022, 07:37:38 AMOh I am and I know :ph34r:

Canned fish is having a bit of a moment in London/UK at the minute (including new British producers - whcih I'm really happy about because it enrages me how little we eat fish given we're an island :ultra:). I'm very much behind it.

If you visit Portugal at any point, there are some really fancy specialty shops in the main airports and largest cities, sponsored or run directly by the Portuguese association of canneries, and they do run a restaurant in Lisbon that prepares all its dishes with fish cans as its gimmick.

Besides that, any food shop or supermarket has a pretty good range. I always stock up whenever I visit one.  :ph34r:

Grey Fox

The Canaries also don't eat a lot of fish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2022, 07:37:38 AMOh I am and I know :ph34r:

Eh... Fish isn't exactly sustainable though. I don't think it matters much that we are an island, we should be cutting back.
██████
██████
██████