News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I think you meant Owen, not Bret Hart. I think he's still alive, while many of his family (brother Owen, brother in law British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith, brother in law Jim Neidhart, and probably more) have in the meantime died.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Wikipedia has a list of premature wrestler deaths, counting anyone under 65 "premature": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_professional_wrestling_deaths
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2022, 03:13:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2022, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2022, 02:01:02 AMWrestling With Wregret reviews old pay per view events on his channel and in a recent video (dunno which one, but I think it had Owen Heart as Blue Blazer vs Mr Perfect) he said his kid would sometimes join when he's watching those old events and occasionally ask, "What's this guy doing now? Is that guy still active?" which leads to some uncomfortable moments.

I think I watched that one, IIRC the match was Ultimate Warrior Vs. Rick Rude. And yeah, wrestlers don't make it to old age, most of the ones from the 80s are already 6 feet under and some of the ones from the 90s already joined them. I wonder how much of a shock it'll be when Hulk Hogan passes.

Both of whom are quite dead.

That was the point, that most of the wrestlers from that 80s/90s golden age are already gone.

QuoteYeah, you have quite a number of wrestlers who died while their careers were still active (Brett Hart, Chris Benoit <_<, Eddie Guerrerro), but then followed by a number who died in their 40s and 50s.

Bret Hart is still alive.  :secret:

I'm sure you meant his brother Owen.

QuoteThe mix of painkillers, illegal drugs, steroids and constant strain on your body takes a hell of a toll.

And CTE. I read somewhere that luckily the new generations seem to be quite aware of this and take much better care of themselves. Current wrestlers seem to be much less prone to substance abuse and lead much healthier lives than their peers from past ages, for instance. Also, awareness is also much better now, and lots of risky/unnecessarily damaging moves (ie, unprotected chair shots to the head) have been removed overall.

Barrister

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1503801054143696904

QuoteВолодимир Зеленський
@ZelenskyyUa
1/2
All trade with Russia must be stopped! So that it can't sponsor the killing of our children. Ukrainians all over the world! Contact politicians, talk to journalists, put pressure on business to leave the Russian market. So that their dollars & euros aren't paid for our blood
12:31 PM · Mar 15, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Interesting - I don't think I've heard Zelenskyy make an appeal to the Ukrainian diaspora before.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2022, 03:19:54 PMBret Hart is still alive.  :secret:

I'm sure you meant his brother Owen.

:embarass

QuoteAnd CTE. I read somewhere that luckily the new generations seem to be quite aware of this and take much better care of themselves. Current wrestlers seem to be much less prone to substance abuse and lead much healthier lives than their peers from past ages, for instance. Also, awareness is also much better now, and lots of risky/unnecessarily damaging moves (ie, unprotected chair shots to the head) have been removed overall.

I'm sure a few lawsuits have helped as well.  I used to think there was a lot more trickery involved in a chair shot - but no they really would just bash each other with real metal folding chairs.

The flip side though is modern wrestlers look a whole heck of a lot smaller than their 80s/90s colleagues.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2022, 03:25:38 PMThe flip side though is modern wrestlers look a whole heck of a lot smaller than their 80s/90s colleagues.

You still have giants and absolute specimens, but yeah, the stars of today are notably smaller/less swolen than in past decades. The wrestling styles that are more en vogue nowadays also make much more emphasis on technique and workrate than just having cartoon physiques.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on March 15, 2022, 01:55:08 PMI remember many moons ago there was a site called pylon of the month which I loved for the sheer stupidity of it. It was a frequent joke only I found funny that this site existed.

But then I see this news and it actually interests me.
Cleaning up messy landscapes is where I get quite tory. Let's take out palisade fencing next please.
BBC News - UK gets first new-style pylons in a century
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60754357
:hmm: Apparently there was a design competition in 2011:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2011/sep/14/shortlist-designs-electricity-pylons-in-pictures?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

They won - not sure they're my favourite though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2022, 03:27:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2022, 03:25:38 PMThe flip side though is modern wrestlers look a whole heck of a lot smaller than their 80s/90s colleagues.

You still have giants and absolute specimens, but yeah, the stars of today are notably smaller/less swolen than in past decades. The wrestling styles that are more en vogue nowadays also make much more emphasis on technique and workrate than just having cartoon physiques.

Yeah - I thought by smaller it was obvious I meant muscles.  Some of those 90s guys were cartoonish.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 15, 2022, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 15, 2022, 01:55:08 PMI remember many moons ago there was a site called pylon of the month which I loved for the sheer stupidity of it. It was a frequent joke only I found funny that this site existed.

But then I see this news and it actually interests me.
Cleaning up messy landscapes is where I get quite tory. Let's take out palisade fencing next please.
BBC News - UK gets first new-style pylons in a century
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60754357
:hmm: Apparently there was a design competition in 2011:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2011/sep/14/shortlist-designs-electricity-pylons-in-pictures?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

They won - not sure they're my favourite though.
Hmm yes. I'm not sure. Maybe they'd be better suited for Switzerland looking like ski lifts and all.

I'm not sure which possibility I like best. Not sure whether I want to go under stated or cool even. I do see an appeal in the tree ones... Though the windmills on top ones seem awesome.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

The US Senate has voted, unanimously, to being on permanent daylight saving time.

Here's an Ars technica article on it : https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/03/us-congress-begins-march-toward-permanent-daylight-saving-time/?comments=1

It's great news. Hopefully the house & Biden are also for it so we can finally end this madness.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

IIRC there's a similar initiative at the EU level, I hope it goes ahead.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on March 16, 2022, 08:10:50 AMIIRC there's a similar initiative at the EU level, I hope it goes ahead.

Didn't the EU commission agree on this a while ago, just not on a timeframe? Maybe this kicks it back into gear again.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

I don't really get why people care. I find it a little odd :hmm:

Edit: I seem to remember that it's really unpopular in Germany - compared with everywhere else in Europe but I can't remember why.
Let's bomb Russia!