News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I hate it when people jaywalk badly.  It's your responsibility not to inconvenience the driver if they have the light.

The Brain

I have two rules:

1. No remotely relevant traffic.
2. No kids nearby.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on March 08, 2022, 05:50:12 PMI have two rules:

1. No remotely relevant traffic.
2. No kids nearby.

Those rules could work for a lot of situations.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

A lot of people don't realize that they are breaking the law when they cross at an intersection when the don't walk signal is flashing - a lot of people view it as a warning they have to hurry across the street.  the VPD have a week every year ticketing such people to try to educate - but it doesn't work.  They also tried signs saying don't walk when flashing.  But also ineffective.  Finally in some of the most congested intersections in the downtown area they stopped with the flashing signal and adjusted the lights for cars so that they could not enter the intersection until well after the solid don't walk signal was displayed.  Created much better flow for traffic.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 08, 2022, 08:29:29 PMA lot of people don't realize that they are breaking the law when they cross at an intersection when the don't walk signal is flashing - a lot of people view it as a warning they have to hurry across the street.  the VPD have a week every year ticketing such people to try to educate - but it doesn't work.  They also tried signs saying don't walk when flashing.  But also ineffective.  Finally in some of the most congested intersections in the downtown area they stopped with the flashing signal and adjusted the lights for cars so that they could not enter the intersection until well after the solid don't walk signal was displayed.  Created much better flow for traffic.
it took a full century for drivers to learn what a yellow light means.  Give it another 60-80 years for pedestrians, at least. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 08, 2022, 08:29:29 PMA lot of people don't realize that they are breaking the law when they cross at an intersection when the don't walk signal is flashing - a lot of people view it as a warning they have to hurry across the street.  the VPD have a week every year ticketing such people to try to educate - but it doesn't work.  They also tried signs saying don't walk when flashing.  But also ineffective.  Finally in some of the most congested intersections in the downtown area they stopped with the flashing signal and adjusted the lights for cars so that they could not enter the intersection until well after the solid don't walk signal was displayed.  Created much better flow for traffic.

Places where this is the law are weird.
The whole concept of Jay walking is an invention of the auto industry.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Well I've discovered the route of try's hatred of cars. He's obviously been hit several times while jaywalking :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2022, 12:21:37 AMThe whole concept of Jay walking is an invention of the auto industry.

It might have had something to do with the fact that getting hit by a car is worse than getting hit by a horse.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2022, 01:46:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2022, 12:21:37 AMThe whole concept of Jay walking is an invention of the auto industry.

It might have had something to do with the fact that getting hit by a car is worse than getting hit by a horse.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever lived anywhere where jaywalking was not the norm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

My first day in DC, me and my coworker were stopped by a cop and given a stern lecture on jaywalking.  :blush:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2022, 01:50:24 AMOn the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever lived anywhere where jaywalking was not the norm.

Germans are totally anal about jaywalking.

Richard Hakluyt

Nearly got arrested in communist Yugoslavia for jaywalking back in the day  :lol:

The cops demanded ID and i didn't have any as my passport was being held by the campsite office; so I offered them the plastic token the campsite had given me to put on my tent.

There were formidable linguistic barriers so they decided that they just couldn't be arsed to arrest me; I decided to cross roads more carefully. At some busy traffic areas they had crossings manned by young women wearing a white leather uniform; including leather miniskirt and boots  :perv:  .

There is no such thing as jaywalking in the UK of course, hence the confusion.

Josquius

Yes. Once in Japan i crossed a small single lane street despite the red being light as there were zero cars there. A policeman saw this and got angry at me nonetheless. Madness.
Needless to say he didn't speak much English and I pretended to speak about as much so nothing came of it.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2022, 01:46:22 AM

The solution to which is to control the cars, not to pass mad laws to control where people can and can't walk.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

There are a number of possible solutions, the best one IMO being to optimize *all* people's time savings, and that is the system I believe is currently being employed.

It has the advantage of not being based on tribalist thinking.