News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your pumpkin spice latte."
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 27, 2021, 07:40:46 AM
Quote from: Maladict on November 27, 2021, 07:28:39 AM

Marcus Aurelius would not be seen dead in a Starbucks  :mad:

Right, no coffee and no Starbucks back then.  :D

He would also be much too frugal. And probably have better taste.

Sheilbh

Interesting piece on the forever culture wars. Tories believed in ghosts and the paranormal, while Whigs wanted to disprove them and favour rationalist theories (even if they included someone winching complicated noise-making machinery into the attic :lol:).

Particlarly great is that the Wesleys thought their haunting may have been caused by a rift in the family after their mother, who was a high Tory, refused to say "amen" to prayer that included praying for the new king William III. The father apparently swore to never share a bed or life with her until she recanted - which she apparently never did - though they had another four children. Some of the kids thought the continued haunting was because of the breach in the marriage and others because the father broke his oath :lol:
https://www.historytoday.com/archive/feature/paranormal-politics
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

:lol:

See and we think it's social media that infantilises politics and creates tribal nonsense.

When it was ghosts all along.

Sheilbh

:lol: I think for 2-300 years ghosts were considered highly suspect because they just smacked of Popery as opposed to a good, robust Protestant understanding of the afterlife. I think it's part of the (broadly accepted) Shakespeare as quasi-Catholic/Catholic sympathiser theory.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2021, 01:23:53 PM
The father apparently swore to never share a bed or life with her until she recanted - which she apparently never did - though they had another four children.

That's an impressive trick.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2021, 08:32:10 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2021, 01:23:53 PM
The father apparently swore to never share a bed or life with her until she recanted - which she apparently never did - though they had another four children.

That's an impressive trick.

Sheilbh summarised that in a... creative manner.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Why do you need WiFi on a BBQ?  :huh:

Internet of Things is really getting out of hand.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2021, 02:43:14 AM
Why do you need WiFi on a BBQ?  :huh:

Internet of Things is really getting out of hand.

Co-worker has set it up that he gets a message overlay on his TV when the microwave is done. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Interesting historic curiosity I learned about.

https://www.picciolettabarca.com/posts/beyond-thought-the-cagots-of-france

In France for hundreds of years way up to the 19th century was a group of people named the cagots. They weren't genetically different, religiously different or particularly different in any way, their work wasn't particularly terrible and unclean... But they were given the full burakumin/untouchables treatment.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Canada has a 'Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve', who knew?  :Canuck:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on November 27, 2021, 08:49:57 AM

Hopefully. No need for Starbucks in Italy nowadays anyways.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 28, 2021, 09:50:09 AM
Quote from: Maladict on November 27, 2021, 08:49:57 AM

Hopefully. No need for Starbucks in Italy nowadays anyways.

:yes:

Or anywhere, really.