News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

A sign of how low the UK has fallen.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/men-do-crimes-because-a-woman-played-doctor-who-says-tory-mp-302570/

Men do crimes because a woman played Doctor Who, says Tory MP
In an International Men's Day debate, Nick Fletcher insisted masculinity "needs to be celebrated".

A Tory MP has suggested men commit crimes because a woman played Doctor Who.

Speaking in a Westminster Hall debate on International Men's Day, Nick Fletcher – the MP for Don Valley – said masculinity "needs to be celebrated" rather than "culturally vilified".

Turning his attention to woman-led reboots of previously male-dominated film and television franchises, Fletcher said: "Everywhere, not least in the cultural sphere, there seems to be a call from a minority that every male character must have a female replacement.

One only needs to look at the discussions around the next James Bond. In recent years we've seen Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker, all replaced by women – and men are left with the Krays.

"Is it any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crime?" he asked.

:bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

That explains why young men committed so few crimes back before... whenever it was masculinity was appropriately celebrated.

When was that? 2000? 1985? 1970? 1950?

Sheilbh

They were just very angry at Colin Baker's Dr Who.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

There's an argument to say that men are in a bad place.  Men have higher suicide rates, mental illness rates, and lower educational success than women.  I have a lot of time for that.  A lot of US politicians are pushing similar lines (Sen Josh Hauley comes to mind).

But then those making the argument almost invariably come around to some culture war bullshit like this.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

I fell asleep during the new Star Wars movies so I missed that Luke is a woman now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Well, he always had daddy issues.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2021, 02:18:29 PM
I fell asleep during the new Star Wars movies so I missed that Luke is a woman now.

Consider yourself lucky.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2021, 01:48:59 PM
That explains why young men committed so few crimes back before... whenever it was masculinity was appropriately celebrated.

Incidentally I believe the appropriate celebration and peak of masculinity was when this advert was made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEqA84R0lYU
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 26, 2021, 05:59:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2021, 01:48:59 PM

Incidentally I believe the appropriate celebration and peak of masculinity was when this advert was made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEqA84R0lYU

Music is too girly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança