News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quizzes and more quizzes; I came across this on an online lecture today: what's your learning style (the VARK questionnaire).

QuoteMultimodal (VRK)
Your scores were:

Visual 7
Aural 1
Read/Write 7
Kinesthetic 9

People with your preference like:
different formats, graphs, diagrams, maps, interesting layouts, space, notes, handouts, print, text, practical exercises, experiences, examples, case studies, trial and error, things that are real, ...

The Aural Learning Style is obviously biased against engineers since it requires talking to other people.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

I learn best by building or doing things (the "Kinesthetic" on this test).  For that reason it's probably for the best that I majored in Electrical Engineering rather than, say, History.  In our society it's perfectly acceptable to learn about radio by building a radio.  It's much less acceptable to learn about Viking civilization by building a dragon boat and sacking Dublin.

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

No surprises

QuoteMultimodal (VARK)
Visual 11
Aural 5
Read/Write 15
Kinesthetic 8

different formats, graphs, diagrams, maps, interesting layouts, space, listening, discussing, talking, questioning, notes, handouts, print, text, practical exercises, experiences, examples, case studies, trial and error, things that are real
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

8-11-13-8

Couldn't decide on a bunch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I got bored five questions in, really couldn't be assed to finish it.  I wonder if that's suggestive of a certain learning style? :unsure:

Syt

I had many instances of "I would want to do all of these."

Your scores were:

Visual 13
Aural 11
Read/Write 12
Kinesthetic 14

different formats, graphs, diagrams, maps, interesting layouts, space, listening, discussing, talking, questioning, notes, handouts, print, text, practical exercises, experiences, examples, case studies, trial and error, things that are real, ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

The UK continues its efforts to dehumanise the unemployed in a it would be funny if it wasn't seriously horrible way.

https://bigissue.com/news/social-justice/what-kidnappers-do-dwp-forcing-universal-credit-claimants-to-pose-for-photo-with-daily-paper/
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on October 20, 2021, 04:58:27 AM
The UK continues its efforts to dehumanise the unemployed in a it would be funny if it wasn't seriously horrible way.

https://bigissue.com/news/social-justice/what-kidnappers-do-dwp-forcing-universal-credit-claimants-to-pose-for-photo-with-daily-paper/

QuoteThe instructions, issued to a person making their first claim, read: "Further to today's phone call, I now require you to provide the following information. If you don't provide all of the information that we've requested your claim will be closed."

The directions asked the claimant, who remains anonymous, to upload a photo of their ID plus a separate picture of the ID held next to their face.

They then asked for "a photo of you stood outside the front door (open behind you) of the property you live at. Ask someone to take this from the street so whole property can be seen.

"A photo of you stood next to your street sign with you[r] right hand holding it. Ask someone to take this photo from a few metres away so that the background can be clearly seen.

"A photo of you holding your local newspaper for the area you live (not a national tabloid newspaper). This should be dated the same day you upload the photo."

The fuck?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Awful. Just the horrible "shop-a-scrounger" mentality that is larded through our welfare system. There's no cruelty that's beyond the risk of someone, somewhere getting benefit money they're not entitled to <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Hassle, even indignity I could see. But where's the cruelty?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2021, 08:21:18 AM
More volcanic news! In Japan a new islet has emerged in the Ogasawara island chain (1000 km south of the main islands, Iwo Jima is part of it), which is somehow common, but this time sunken WWII ships are emerging on it.

These are captured Japanese transports sunk by the US as a sort of poor man's Mulberry harbor during the invasion of Iwo Jima (Iwo Jima has no port).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Another question for the Spaniards; I saw this article in Atlas Obscura about huesos de santo and I was curious if they were popular throughout Spain or just in certain regions.

(In Palermo they celebrate Carnivale with marzipan pig heads (not life sized.))
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on October 20, 2021, 11:04:48 AM
Another question for the Spaniards; I saw this article in Atlas Obscura about huesos de santo and I was curious if they were popular throughout Spain or just in certain regions.

(In Palermo they celebrate Carnivale with marzipan pig heads (not life sized.))

why not
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2021, 06:17:18 AM
Awful. Just the horrible "shop-a-scrounger" mentality that is larded through our welfare system. There's no cruelty that's beyond the risk of someone, somewhere getting benefit money they're not entitled to <_<

Welfare fraud is a very real thing.  I was just dealing with a file where the woman claimed welfare for her and her three children.

Problem was she doesn't have any children.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2021, 11:10:19 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2021, 06:17:18 AM

Welfare fraud is a very real thing.  I was just dealing with a file where the woman claimed welfare for her and her three children.

Problem was she doesn't have any children.

Did the Crown do its duty? :perv:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.