The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2021, 08:30:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2021, 05:55:41 AM
Really enjoyed breakfast TV looking at warning signs your kid's an incel:
https://twitter.com/austerity_sucks/status/1429530311189221380?s=21

Problem is that going after internet buzz words that are popular with teens has the potential to backfire spectacularly.

This has some of the feeling of 'signs your kid may be becoming a dangerous hippie - like Charles Manson - if you catch him saying "cool" or "right on".

Problem is that it is difficult to tell the difference between (a) the kid is becoming sucked into a hardcore and harmful ideology; or (b) the kid is picking up on terms that are just becoming common currency among his generation ("based" or "cringe").

Kids always do stuff disliked by their elders. It's a way of asserting their own identity. In the past, it was based more on appearance - dressing either too provocatively or too 'punk' - and now, in the era of the Internet, with memes and language.

Are there groups of well adjusted children that are using all those terms?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 23, 2021, 09:43:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if ex-incels are way more likely to commit spousal abuse. Be careful what you wish for.

Well then they can go to prison. If you want to play a stupid game like being an incel you will win stupid prizes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2021, 09:48:11 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2021, 08:30:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2021, 05:55:41 AM
Really enjoyed breakfast TV looking at warning signs your kid's an incel:
https://twitter.com/austerity_sucks/status/1429530311189221380?s=21

Problem is that going after internet buzz words that are popular with teens has the potential to backfire spectacularly.

This has some of the feeling of 'signs your kid may be becoming a dangerous hippie - like Charles Manson - if you catch him saying "cool" or "right on".

Problem is that it is difficult to tell the difference between (a) the kid is becoming sucked into a hardcore and harmful ideology; or (b) the kid is picking up on terms that are just becoming common currency among his generation ("based" or "cringe").

Kids always do stuff disliked by their elders. It's a way of asserting their own identity. In the past, it was based more on appearance - dressing either too provocatively or too 'punk' - and now, in the era of the Internet, with memes and language.

Are there groups of well adjusted children that are using all those terms?

Are there groups of well adjusted children?

Generally, whether a kid is well adjusted or not tends to be an individual measure.

Kids often do things to push adult buttons. As adults it is our responsibility not to fall prey to a moral panic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Is there a moral panic around those terms or are they currently good indicators?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

I agree we should avoid moral panics where possible, but I'm not seeing much evidence of moral panics when it comes to incel and incel motivated violence. In fact, from my perspective (though I don't claim to be perfectly informed) there seems to be a surprising lack of urgency in how the phenomenon is discussed.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2021, 11:17:59 AM
Is there a moral panic around those terms or are they currently good indicators?

I'm just judging by the posted clip. The thesis of which appears to be, watch out for your kids using terms such as "triggered" or "based". They may be indications your kid is associating with a movement that segues into right wing violence.

No mention how common these terms may be in online discussions, that they may be used by kids who are not about to metamorphose into Nazis, etc.

The moral panic potential is there, it seems to me.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Sure I'm just seeing lots of younger millenials and zoomers laughing about this clip because I think except for "red-pill" and "kind and sensitive person" etc most of those phrases are just online discourse not particularly specific to incel.

It struck me as a little bit like that clip from American breakfast TV of a "normal teens bedroom" that was actually filled with hidden drugs :lol:

Although I think it points to a slightly bigger issue of I think our TV and media commentators just not really knowing or caring or acknowledging about online culture which is kind of key to everyone under 40 (probably). This is a bad - and quite funny - explainer, but the broader issue is that most serious voices pride themselves on being above or too good for online, when it's the stuff everyone younger than them is marinating in - which makes it challenging for them to then deal with something serious from online culture like incels.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

My first encounter with base in this manner was the idiot in Afghanistan.
And kind and sensitive person is quite a far right marker, not too standard.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2021, 11:55:20 AM
Sure I'm just seeing lots of younger millenials and zoomers laughing about this clip because I think except for "red-pill" and "kind and sensitive person" etc most of those phrases are just online discourse not particularly specific to incel.

It struck me as a little bit like that clip from American breakfast TV of a "normal teens bedroom" that was actually filled with hidden drugs :lol:

Although I think it points to a slightly bigger issue of I think our TV and media commentators just not really knowing or caring or acknowledging about online culture which is kind of key to everyone under 40 (probably). This is a bad - and quite funny - explainer, but the broader issue is that most serious voices pride themselves on being above or too good for online, when it's the stuff everyone younger than them is marinating in - which makes it challenging for them to then deal with something serious from online culture like incels.

Exactly.

People here are, apparently, taking it quite seriously. Show this clip to someone who is 16, they will fall over laughing.

Valmy

All I said is that I would take seriously my kids participating in Incel Culture. I didn't bother to watch the clip.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

It's the old mechanism of terms being created in some sub-culture, the words spreading to the mainstream (where many don't know anything about the origin of the terms, and care less), boomers learning about the terms and that they originated in a certain sub-culture, and going "oh my God, everyone below 20 is [sub-culture]!".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2021, 11:55:20 AM

You're in touch with Gen Z and below? Younger millenials would be outside the scope. ;)

HVC

Careful sheilbh, garbon is trying to get you to admit you touch gen z'ers!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2021, 12:25:17 PM
You're in touch with Gen Z and below? Younger millenials would be outside the scope. ;)
:P Reminds me of the Zoomer intern who patiently explained to me that Snapchat is a type of social media :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 23, 2021, 01:15:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2021, 12:25:17 PM
:P Reminds me of the Zoomer intern who patiently explained to me that Snapchat is a type of social media :bleeding:

One of the interview questions for our recent grad intake was how would they explain TikTok to their grandmother. One answered by noting her grandmother is already well aware of it as her grandson uses TikTok to make money.