News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

When playing American Truck Sim, I like listening to local radio stations from the area I'm driving in. The music is usually interchangeable, but the on air ads provide a bit of flavor. You get your usual retailers, insurances etc., but one ad stood out for me.

While driving in New Mexico, a country station aired ads for a Texas outdoors and camping retailer that asked if people in NM were tired of their governor dictating what they can and can't do. Fear not: Texas is open for business! So why not come across the state border to shop in their store without a mask (important selling point!) to go into the woods (NM parks are open!) for some proper social distancing "that works!" :D

Oh, and in Colorado, Sean Hannity was shilling for a Keller Williams estate agent. I'm sure it's one of those ads with a generic lines, and for a fee they add name, location, and phone number to the lines. I wonder if using Hannity doesn't limit your general appeal in today's political climate, unless you're sure the majority of people in your area don't think he's a bag of cattle feces. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Real estate agents are a dime a dozen, so people motivated to buy carry a lot more weight than people motivated to boycott.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

The bloody leftists of Charlie Hebdo have their take on the latest British Monarchy news:

Why did Meghan Markle leave Buckingham Palace? "Because I could not breathe anymore!"

Josephus

Somebody should blow that magazine up.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Disagree with the parallel the cover chose (esp. since Harry and Meghan were clear that this didn't originate from Lizzie), but the queen's face is funny. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2021, 06:11:38 AM
Disagree with the parallel the cover chose (esp. since Harry and Meghan were clear that this didn't originate from Lizzie), but the queen's face is funny. :D

She represents the monarchy, even if she wasn't personally involved. And she could/should have done something, being head of the family.

Syt

I'm dubious about how much power the monarch actually holds, politically, and within the family, especially at her age. Doesn't fully absolve her, of course.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2021, 06:19:30 AM
I'm dubious about how much power the monarch actually holds, politically, and within the family, especially at her age. Doesn't fully absolve her, of course.

No, it doesn't, even though you're probably right. If she can't handle the responsibilities she should hand them to someone else, or just abdicate.

Syt

Meanwhile, in "reality and satire are indistinguishable":

Julian Reichelt, editor in chief of Germany's BILD, the country's largest tabloid, and well known for its underhanded campaigns of questionable truth content, has been furloughed, while there is an internal investigation against him into alleged sexual misconduct.

The Axel Springer group, which owns Welt, BILD, and other papers have said in a statement that "pre-judging someone on the basis of rumors is incompatible with Axel Springer's corporate culture."

Which is hilarious, considering that it's a major share of BILD's content. :rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Needless to say that CH cover has gone down badly with everyone here for their own, different reasons.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 15, 2021, 06:59:16 AM
Needless to say that CH cover has gone down badly with everyone here for their own, different reasons.

I doubt that making friends in the UK factored in their decision making when choosing the cover.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2021, 07:05:03 AM
I doubt that making friends in the UK factored in their decision making when choosing the cover.
No - but I've not seen any sort of defensiveness about the Queen around this. It's more that the cover comes across - to UK sensitivities - as a bit racist (which is relatively standard when CH are in the news here) and making light of George Floyd. Plus lots of comments to the effect that if you continually have to explain why your satire isn't racist and punching down, maybe it's because it's not very good satire (even if it is French).
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 15, 2021, 07:11:02 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2021, 07:05:03 AM
No - but I've not seen any sort of defensiveness about the Queen around this. It's more that the cover comes across - to UK sensitivities - as a bit racist (which is relatively standard when CH are in the news here) and making light of George Floyd. Plus lots of comments to the effect that if you continually have to explain why your satire isn't racist and punching down, maybe it's because it's not very good satire (even if it is French).

That all sounds like fair criticism.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Two uncovered bits from that interview

Megan's talk of the institution and its HR department. Wow. The potential for satire looms heavy.

When Harry was asked how he gets on with the queen: granny rocks!
And dad?.... Ah..... Yeah.... I have a dad.
Truly Charles the last.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 15, 2021, 06:59:16 AM

They would not have it any other way.  :P