News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Also: Liz's reign bookended by her relatives marrying troublesome yanks is how The Crown should have been written.  :P

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on March 08, 2021, 09:59:07 AM
Lawful Evil

:yes: Depends on the person, but basic evil in general with spots of Chaotic Good.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

I think I'm now finally a Republican in the UK sense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yes - but the British tabloids are Chaotic Evil and the Royal Family lives in terror of them so things can get hectic <_<

Having said that I don't really have much time for this Harry Egalité thing we're seeing. He's still a royal (who dressed as a nazi at a "natives and colonials" party, used racist and homophobic slurs in the army and has never really accounted for that stuff it's just been sort of memory-holed now he's a "progressive" prince <_<). So ultimately he needs to be swept away with the rest of them. Though I think his style at the minute is probably particularly appealing to Americans (I saw CNN have now launched a weekly Royal newsletter which is mind-blowing and I don't think any of the UK press - and certainly not the broadcast media - have anything as royal-obsessive as that :bleeding:) because he's royalty, plus democratic, plus Hollywood.

I sympathise with Meghan for sure, but am generally very strongly in a curse on all of their houses.

I also think it was a missed opportunity for Harry to announce at the end that having sought undertakings from the Royal Family and not received them, the house of Sussex is consequently supporting the Jacobite claimant to the  throne :lol: :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Dude marries a black lady & he still hasn't "accounted for that stuff".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2021, 10:08:40 AM
I also think it was a missed opportunity for Harry to announce at the end that having sought undertakings from the Royal Family and not received them, the house of Sussex is consequently supporting the Jacobite claimant to the  throne :lol: :(

Unfortunately, there are currently no Jacobite claimants as none of them have the courage of the Mad Italian.  :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2021, 10:19:42 AM
Unfortunately, there are currently no Jacobite claimants as none of them have the courage of the Mad Italian.  :(
According to Wikipedia the current claimant is Franz, Duke of Bavaria :o

QuoteDude marries a black lady & he still hasn't "accounted for that stuff".
Yeah - from memory I think he was on tape calling someone the P-word (I am very uncomfortable saying it) and other slurs. I think he should address that and not just be given a free-pass because, now it affects his loved ones, he's realised racism is bad.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I feel our civilized parlamentary monarchy ways are currently robing us of a perfectly good civil war among Windsor branches. Instead of
St Albans, we get an interview with Oprah  <_<

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2021, 10:25:45 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2021, 10:19:42 AM
According to Wikipedia the current claimant is Franz, Duke of Bavaria :o

Sorry, I was being a bit unclear there. I mean that there is no one (including good ol' Franz) who actively claims the title. He is obviously the correct one in terms of succession, but I'm not sure I'd define him as a "claimant" without at least him stating--a la Charles I RE: France--that he holds the title by right.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2021, 10:25:45 AM
Yeah - from memory I think he was on tape calling someone the P-word (I am very uncomfortable saying it) and other slurs. I think he should address that and not just be given a free-pass because, now it affects his loved ones, he's realised racism is bad.

There are so many *-words these days, I don't even know what you're talking about.

There's the n-word, of course.  I think there's the c-word.  I ran into a reference to the r-word the other day in talking about people with intellectual development delays.  I think there's the f-word when talking about gays.

But what the heck is the p-word?

As an aside I am uncomfortable with the idea that a word is so harmful it can't even be typed (in a context where it's just being described, not used as a slur), but apparently that's the world we live in.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

I was also going to ask what's that dreaded p-word, as I have no idea what it might be.

Syt

The tabloids in the UK did seem, uhm, peculiar in how they covered Meghan compared to other royals.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

I assume the p-word is a diminutive form for cat, also applied to female genitalia?

Or maybe a very British way to refer to male homosexuals?

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2021, 10:41:11 AM
I assume the p-word is a diminutive form for cat, also applied to female genitalia?

I assume it's a slur for people of Pakistani background.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on March 08, 2021, 10:41:43 AM
I assume it's a slur for people of Pakistani background.

... or that.

Too many p-words.